Discussion Board

Smile [moved] How to decrypt an encrypted card

Folks,

I encrypted an SD card in my E71.
    I stupidly took out the SD card and proceeded to update the phone software, (basically ignoring the DECRYPT CARD NOW messages)
    It's fine, give me a bashing for it.

Is there any way to get the files back from the SD card?

Graham

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: [moved] How to decrypt an encrypted card

If description would be possible without having the original keys that would really defeat the purpose of encryption, wouldn't it? Do you have a backup copy of your keys?
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

I have a copy of the encryption key created using the nokia PC suite and I know the password to the key file.

When I select the key file to use for memory card encryption I get an "incorrect key file" message, since I've updated my E71 to a new firmware.

Is there a way to decrypt the contents of the memory card using that key file or do I need the former firmware version as well?

I have made a backup image of the card and also copied the key off the phone manually.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Someone help mE!!!!
    My phone is E75...
    i encrypted it without saving the key
    now i lost my picture and music
    how to decrypt it???

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by lan_holmes View Post
    Someone help mE!!!!
    My phone is E75...
    i encrypted it without saving the key
    now i lost my picture and music
    how to decrypt it???
    the links given by ltomuta in the previous post are good for you also. Please try posting your query there as this is a developers discussion board.

HI, I'm also encrypted My MMC in nokia E71 without saving Key , now i know the key but can't Decrypt at all . IS there any way to manually configur the key Using Known password

Quote Originally Posted by ramtrish View Post
    HI, I'm also encrypted My MMC in nokia E71 without saving Key , now i know the key but can't Decrypt at all . IS there any way to manually configur the key Using Known password
    Consider the suggestions already in the above posts

Good Luck!!

Hi everyone,

approximately the same problem: Encrypted my memory card, worked ok for months. Today I showed a buddy of mine the encryption application, which asked if the memory card should be encrypted (encryption was already enabled). No Keyfiles/Passwords where asked for. The Phone crashed after that (hard reset after 5 hours). So the card is now encrypted, but there appears to be no valid key file on the device... So we have the usual issue: encrypted card, no keyfile or password.

My problem is different in the following aspect: I don't want to recover any data - I just want to reformat the card and use my last (weekly) backup. However the phone won't let me do this. The following steps were taken to solve this issue without success:

1. A complete Restore using the PC Suite does not restore any memory card contents or keys. The memory card stays "corrupted", encrypted and unwritable.
    2. "Format Memory Card" says "card corrupted". Upon issuing the format request it says "Another application is using this memory card. Proceed" (which I confirm, as I suppose the crypto driver grabs the device) and then the program does nothing. It returns to the starting screen with "memory card corrupted".
    3. ReEnabling Encryption with a different key keeps saying that "No keys found", even after setting a new one. Sidenote: Even with a new key the card can't be formatted, as described above.
    4. The Phone was reset (using *#7370#, the 3+*+Green never worked on my phone) to factory defaults. Still the card was correctly recognized as encrypted and remained unusable as described above.
    5. Using a PC to format the memory card fails, as only the first 548kB appear to be writable (using dd under linux to write sequential zeroes). Despite writing this zero-dump, the phone still recognizes the card as encrypted, which implies that data on the card survived that crude zeroing attempt.

The card is ok, since it was only removed after the problem occured. This must be an encryption issue. I suspect that the "Read Only" Password was set on the SD Card (hardware side, not E71 software) and hence all read/write operations are declined by the card.

Is there any way to actually reset the encryption state of this card? As I previously said: I am not trying to recover any data, I just want a cleanly formatted microSD card...

Kind regards,

Chris

Hi,

This discussion board caters to issues faced by 3rd party application developers. For end users issues and peer support please post your query in http://www.nokia.com/discussions

Good Luck!!

Hello Symbian_Neil,

I will repost in the given forum (sorry for the spamming). Since I am capable of writing symbian application using the SDK, I am quite willing to write a program to recover my memory cards capabilities. Let me rephrase my question:

Is there a way to access the cryptographic subsystem and/or the sd-card management routines through the SDK? A cursery glance at the reference material an boards didn't yield anything of value. There are lot's of entries on reading/writing filesystems that are potentially on a sd-card, but nothing related to the APIs of the cryptographic driver or low level ioctl routines.

Regards,

Crypto

Plain reading and writing should not be a task to be worried about. Cryptographic APIs, well, that should not be an issue too if you search the already discussed threads related to this, although must confess that I have done encryption stuff about 4-5 years back. Issue would be to decrypt/recover/format without the key..I could stand corrected if its otherwise.

If you are not too worried of the data, then compared to the cost of effort to recovery (if at all somebody gives some advise contrary to the above), I would think that memory cards have become cheaper compared to going through the grind just to make it usable again.