Discussion Board

Positioning data

Hi,
    I have made a Java application, a compass, that uses the positioning data inside the phone.
    The problem that I have is that every time it tries to get data it asks the message: "Allow application Mobile Application to use Positioning data?" with the options yes and no.
    So I would like to remove this question if possible, so that the application could compute the direction of travelling with the need to ask the user every time if it's allowed or not to use the data. It needs to get positions continuously, so the question pops every few seconds, making it very annoying.
    Thank you very much

Regular Contributor

Re: Positioning data

On the phone, go to Applications Menu, Installations, Application Manager.

Select the Installed Applications item.

Select the application you are interested in... scroll down until you see the Positioning entry... change this value from "Ask Every Time" to "Ask First Time".

- Mike
    NAVTEQ Network for Developers
    The community for developing innovative location based-application applications
    http://NN4D.com

Thank you very much for the help.
    I thought that it has to do with the code not the phone

I had the same problem and I agree with Catalindragos: it's a matter of application code.
    Looking for permissions rules, I found that JAD MIDlet must be configured as API permissions on javax.microedition.location.Location.
    It's seems reasonable but it does not work ! Application continue to ask "Allow application to ..." every LocationProvider.GetInstance() call.
    Franco

Super Contributor

JAD API permissions only really apply to signed MIDlets. But they don't affect the permission prompts of either signed or unsigned MIDlets. A signed MIDlet may find itself refused access to anything for which it does not request permission, without the user seeing a prompt.

Graham.

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by fsalcuni View Post
    I had the same problem and I agree with Catalindragos: it's a matter of application code.
    Looking for permissions rules, I found that JAD MIDlet must be configured as API permissions on javax.microedition.location.Location.
    It's seems reasonable but it does not work ! Application continue to ask "Allow application to ..." every LocationProvider.GetInstance() call.
    Franco
    App signed or unsigned, you need to educate the end user's to set the permissions for getting location - as ask only once.
    thanks,
    ~Amitabh
    (Champion of the Month -Aug'13)
    Follow me on my blog for Innovative Mobile Apps