Discussion Board

Text decompression on J2ME

Does anyone have experience with compression/decompression on J2ME?

I am currently writing a wikipedia dump reader, and it will surely need to be compressed (~12GB dump can be compressed down to ~2GB). What algorithms are available for J2ME?

Other than availability, I think the main constraint would be memory usage, since my target phone only has 2MB memory available. Speed would not really be an issue because I can compress into small blocks (~1MB).

I am currently thinking about bzip2 and 7z, since they sound like the best algorithms so far with decent compression ratio, low memory usage for decompression, and relatively fast decompression.

I only need to decompress on the phone, no compression (will be done on a computer).

What do you think?

Many thanks

Super Contributor

Re: Text decompression on J2ME

The easiest option is just to ZLIB... that's how the JAR is compressed, and Class.getResourceAsStream() gives you access to a ZLIB decompressor.

Strip out any extraneous junk from the data (like any formatting data that you won't honour on the device), and chunk it together. A small number of big files will give you better compression that a large number of small files.

The alternative is to write your own decompressor. Or find one... I haven't seen to many decompressors in Java, but Google probably knows better than I.

Your phone has 2Mb memory? Series 40? Are you sure it will take a 2Gb JAR?

Cheers,
    Graham.

Thanks!

The dump will be in a separate big file (accessed using FileConnection API) with all unnecessary formatting stripped.

Since it will be in a different file, I'm guessing I cannot use Class.getResourceAsStream().

I found a BZip2 implementation here -
    http://www.kohsuke.org/bzip2/

But looking through its source, it seems like it will use quite a bit of memory.

The LZMA SDK also has a Java implementation, but it has no documentation at all, and the sources aren't even commented...

Super Contributor

No, you can only use getResourceAsStream() to read from the class-path, which basically means from the JAR.

I recommend you do some tests to ensure that you can open and read files of that size, before you do too much coding... :-) You might just find there are limitations that you don't expect.

Cheers,
    Graham.

Ah okay, thanks!