Discussion Board

a new concept(j2me firewall)....all pros feel free to post

hey all,
    this is a new concept (i havnt heard abt it b4 ie), newayz wat i m tryin to implement is a packet filtering firewall(for beginners its a firewall which accepts or rejects packets using the ip header like the source ip address etc) equivalent to iptables in linux.newayz wat i wanna kno is how can i listen to a port(port listener) n retrieve data from the ip header.i m expecting a health discussion here so feel free to post guys...thanx in advance

Super Contributor

Re: a new concept(j2me firewall)....all pros feel free to post

For a project like this, you need to work at a lower level than you can in Java. A firewall needs to sit between applications and the network layers of the operating system. Having a virtual machine between your app and the operating system really makes this a non-starter.

Cheers,
    Graham.

hey graham thanx for ur reply
    i kno it ll b difficult in java but is dere ne way to work around dis problem?or is dere no way to listen to port for incoming connection in j2me?

Super Contributor

Sure... you can listen on an incoming port, on some devices, subject to security restrictions. But that is functioning as a server, not as a firewall.

Someone else is/was trying the same thing. Take a look here.

Java is not suitable for writing system-level code of this kind. It is not difficult in J2ME, it is impossible.

Cheers,
    Graham.

Super Contributor

btw,
    this is inherent to the discussion, but for the readability it would be nice if you could type in plain english and not in txt msg language

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by acooldemon View Post
    I know that it would be difficult in java but is there a way to work around this problem? or is there no way to listen to port for incoming connection in j2me?
    I can only add to what the others have said. You have a fundamental misunderstanding of the role that Java plays. You could not write a firewall in Java even if you were on a desktop* or server*, and there are many more restrictions on the role that Java applications can assume in Java Micro Edition.

[*OK... for completeness... in the unlikely event of an operating system being written entirely in Java, then of course, you could write a firewall in Java. But until such a monstrosity exists, Java, like .NET, can only be used for user space applications.]

- Mike
    NAVTEQ Network for Developers
    The community for developing innovative location-based applications
    http://NN4D.com