Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Unicode characters in J2ME

Hello,

I would like to use for example chinese, korean ja japanese characters in my mobile application. As far as I have understood for example S60 and S40 devices doesn't have Unicode font library in use.

I was thinking about getting unicode image from server. Server would draw unicode characters on image and send it to the MIDlet. Currently we don't have need for editing the text. Additionally our application use client-server framework.

Other solution would be to create true type font engine. This might not work in practise because for example Arial Unicode MS font library size is 22Mb.

Could you comment my proposals and recommend better solutions?

-FoL

Super Contributor

Re: Unicode characters in J2ME

It is common practice to use a bitmap image (PNG) to hold font characters, and use this to render text rather than the device's internal font. This avoids a whole variety of cross-device font issues.

However, for Chinese-Japanese-Korean characters, this is generally impractical, due to the very large number of character images needed.

It is not necessarily true to say that Nokia devices don't support CJK characters. They will have characters appropriate to the market in which they are sold. Devices sold in China will have appropriate font support. (They have to, or the user interface could not be localized.) Devices destined for the European market, on the other hand, might not have CJK character support (in fact, probably don't).

The question is, therefore: do you want to support Chinese for end-users in China, or for end-users in other regions?

Cheers,
    Graham.

Hi forceoflight,
    why do you want to go to server for your font convention . why don't you convert locally . Get the bit map font's of that language and create image locally and use . Rather than going to the server each and every time .
    There are some example how to use bit map fonts plz go through the below posts
    http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...d.php?t=147290
    http://j2me-mwt.sourceforge.net/tutorial.html

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by bhanuchandar.k View Post
    why don't you convert locally . Get the bit map font's of that language and create image locally and use .
    Because even just simplified Chinese needs about 8000 characters. They are quite complex (compared to Latin or Cyrillic characters), so they really need to be at least 16x16 pixels each. That's 2 million pixels (a little less than 1500 pixels square), requiring somewhere betweem 4 and 8Mb of heap to load, depending on device.

This is an option only if you know in advance the exact set of characters you require (and the set is small enough).

Cheers,
    Graham.

Regular Contributor

Greetings,

that you for your answers.

I have already done font engine that can handle for example Chinese characters locally. But font files size will be the bottle neck. Our application must support all well known languages Korean, Chinese, Japanese, English, German, ... That is why the only suitable way to handle this problem is to get text image from the server.

I already tested that image size can be very small ~1kb (PNG), when you have short test with white background

-FoL
    Last edited by forceoflight; 2009-03-27 at 13:16.