Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

[moved] S60 5th Edition compatibility query

I am working on application development using the S60 5th edition. I would like to know if it works only with Nokia 5800 or does it work with earlier Nokia phones too.(For example N72 , etc). I tried to port an executable file to a N72 and run it but it did not run . If it works with earlier Nokia phones too , then what can be the problem ?? How do I run an app on an actual device or do I need a Nokia 5800

Plz help

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: S60 5th Edition compatibility query

Quote Originally Posted by nisheethpandey View Post
    I am working on application development using the S60 5th edition. I would like to know if it works only with Nokia 5800 or does it work with earlier Nokia phones too.(For example N72 , etc). I tried to port an executable file to a N72 and run it but it did not run . If it works with earlier Nokia phones too , then what can be the problem ?? How do I run an app on an actual device or do I need a Nokia 5800

Plz help
    You will have to learn about the backwards compatibility promise of the S60 Platform and about the binary break that occurred at the introduction of S60 3rd Edition. There is plenty of documentation of this site, including porting guide from S60 2nd Edition to S60 3rd Edition.

Here is a starting point: How do I start programming for Symbian OS? (it includes link to Which S60 SDK should I use?)
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite