Discussion Board

sending data from mobile to a computer

hi,

my last post went unanswered. So let me re-frame the question and go to the specific requirement.

I want to transfer some text data to a computer. Now there is bluetooth via I can do this. But I want to use the internet for this transfer. so that whenever mobile finds a wireless LAN(with internet connectivity), it can transfer it over the net.
    So what APIs should I use for this requirement?

After some reading I find that on a PC, there should a web server running and I can send the data with connector.open() n related APIs. My question is, is this the right way to go about it? Will this work?

please reply.

Re: sending data from mobile to a computer

Dear nashbur,
    As of my knowledge if you want to send data to PC through programmatically what ever you are said is correct
    1 . You can send Using Blue tooth api.
    2. If you don't want to use the blue tooth api programing and if you want to send the data to any pc you need following things
    • You need one web application which will accept the incoming connection and do your need like saving data etc
      The pc need to have the public IP . Then only you can acess through the actual mobile devise

Super Contributor

Thumbs up Re: sending data from mobile to a computer

Hi,
    ya ofcourse u can send data to computer via bluetooth API or can send data via Web as Bhanu suggest. For sending data to PC through web u have to maintain a server at ur PC.
    thanks,
    jitu_goldie..

KEEP TRYING..

Super Contributor

You can have another option if you run SIP on your PC/phone and you can send data from any application in your phone( that uses SIP) to PC. But easy and straight forward way is to use BT.

thanks for your replies.

The problem of public IP will not come in my case. As I am in my private wireless lan. and address space 10.x.x.x is accessible. I want this functionality for inside the LAN only.

Now the second part of my question,
    There could be multiple wireless access point detected at some point. So how does the mobile select which access point it wants to connect to.
    I will write something like this
    Connection sc = Connector.open("http://10.x.x.x:80");

to connect to my machine where servlet will be listening for data.

But I did not find APIs which selects access points. Is my question itself wrong? that is it the case that, its not necessary to select access points n all. And mobile does it automatically?

bdw,
    Why i dont want bluetooth APIs is, the LAN spans 3 km wide and its not possible to have bluetooth device at every point. However, wireless internet access is provided. so i want to use that.
    Last edited by nashbur; 2009-03-26 at 09:09.

Regular Contributor

Hi,

While connecting to the PC the phone by default will popup the option to choose one from the available access point. This will be one time request.

Regards
    Senthil

thanks for the reply.

I do get the selecting access point option when connector.open() method gets executed.
    But how do we choose a default access point? i don't want manual intervention in that. If the predefined access point is available , i will send the data otherwise not.

if this settings depend on mobile, i am using N79.

Super Contributor

There is no API for selecting the access point. The user must do this, if the device does not provide one automatically.

Not sure about the N79, but on the N96, go to Menu, Applications, App. Mgr., Installed Apps, (your application), Settings, Access Point, Change.

You will find other options there for changing the security prompts. You will not be able to disable the security prompts completely (not without appropriately signing the application).

Cheers,
    Graham.