Discussion Board

Please help with GPRS

Hi,

I want to transfer data between two phones. I am successfully using CSD connection but speed is too low (9,6 kbit).

Can you please tell me how I can do such data transfer using GPRS (or maybe some other)?

Thanks.

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Please help with GPRS

You can use GPRS by going through an intermediate server on the Internet.

If the phone(s) and network(s) support it, at higher call costs, you could make a HSCSD call (better bandwidth, more expensive call).

Do you mean that I cannot connect directly two phones via GPRS? Are there any other technologies to create direct connections between phones?

Super Contributor

Hi,

In case of computer they are connected with a IP and communicate with each other via internet, but in case of mobile its different phone do not have anything like it can be connected through.

you can use bluetooth for your purpose but its for small distance only.

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Boris S. View Post
    Do you mean that I cannot connect directly two phones via GPRS? Are there any other technologies to create direct connections between phones?
    Normally network operators assign phones a private, non-routable IP address that is not visible/accessible to any device outside the operator's network.

The IP address is not registered with any public name server (DNS).

The IP address can also change as the phone user moves to a different routing area within the operator's network (or when roaming to another operator's network).

The IP address presented to the outside world, when the phone connects somewhere (e.g., when browsing) is usually the network operator's proxy server's IP address.

The network operator might have several proxy servers with different addresses.

The access point selection (e.g., WAP APN vs. Internet APN) may also route the traffic through different servers/proxies (e.g., WAP APN traffic always would go through the operator's WAP gateway).

Sometimes networks do assign public IPs to phones (sometimes it requires the use of a specific APN, and it could also result in higher data charges).

Even if the IP address is public, the network may still block unsolicited connections from outside the operator's network. That means, another system on the Internet, or even another phone, even if the target phone had a public IP, would not be able to initiate a connection to it.

And, since the phone's name wouldn't be registered in any DNS server, and even if it actually had a public IP address that the operator would - uncharacteristically - allow connections to, the IP address would still be assigned dynamically. In other words, the other phone that wants to connect to another phone, would not know what IP address the phone it wants to connect to has. You would then have to device some other mechanism to pass around the IP addresses.

The above means, in essence, that if you want to have a GPRS data connection going between two phones, you will need and intermediate server on the Internet to which both phones can first make a connection, and the server can then relay the data.

Do read up also on IPv6 and SIP, though.