Discussion Board

Free trial vs. full version

I have read Ovi Publisher Guide, and I don't see support for "try & buy" flow.

I think, most customers want to purchase content (applications) this way:

1. Notice the material in Ovi Browser
    2. Download free trial for evaluation
    3. Buy content
    4. Receive activation key (or a different package)

Is there any support (planned) for such flow?

Re: Free trial vs. full version

Thank you for the suggestion.

The Ovi Store does not currently support the type of license management you described. As an alternative, publishers can upload limited versions of the content item and offer it as a free trial. I recommend identifying the item as a trial version in the item Display Name and Description in order to avoid any confusion.

Best Regards,
    OviKris

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by OviKris View Post

I recommend identifying the item as a trial version in the item Display Name and Description in order to avoid any confusion.

Best Regards,
    OviKris
    Hi,
    From my "veteran" years of "shareware" using a similar distribution model the best way is to add the text "-demo"to the filename, the word "trial" often can be mis-interpreted. Once got mail saying what "trail", note the "ai"changed, was being used. One legal user was complaining about interfering with a U.S. legal "trial" on some patent.

"demo" is abbreviation of "demonstration", but is unique meaning.

This a small point but developers has have more important things to worry about.
    Good Luck
    Jim

Regular Contributor

I've posted similar questions to the forum (and directly to Nokia/Ovi)
    and haven't had any reply for weeks.

I'm assuming that there will be no Handango-Style Dynamic Registration
    option, so the most I can hope for is having to send out regcodes (activation keys)
    to the customer. That's not the best setup, because if you app becomes really popular you have to spend proportionally more time sat at your computer generating recodes and and emailing them out manually every day.

Ok, Handango takes bigger commission, and they have their flaws
    (e.g. ask a question to support and maybe get a response 2 weeks later!)
    but they do have Dynamic RPN registration AND they take care of international
    tax payments on your behalf.

So.. it's a tough call to make right now.
    For Ovi to sway me - they'll haev to step-up their game and start
    answering some of these outstanding questions.

Super Contributor

Hi,
    You need to read the publishing on Ovi article you receive, WHEN you register. The document WILL NOT appear on wiki Ovi, or anywhere else legitimately. So you need to register.

Will you be happy about Tax! handling. in

Terms and Conditions

4.6. VAT and Invoicing

Any VAT, sales tax, service tax, business tax, turnover tax, IVA, ISS or any similar tax levied on You in the country where You are registered for tax purposes is solely Your responsibility. Nokia is not liable to You or anyone else to pay any of the aforementioned taxes in addition to the revenue share Nokia remits to You.

You agree with Nokia on a Self Billing arrangement ("Nokia SBI") delivered to You at the email address You provided during registration to the Program, or as updated by You after registration. You certify that Your email address and all Your registration information, as may be updated by You from time to time, are truthful, accurate, current, valid and adequate for Nokia SBI purposes. You are solely liable for issuing any VAT, tax or similar invoice as may be required by the laws of Your country if such document is required in addition to the Nokia SBI, and You certify that such invoice or document will show exactly the same details as the Nokia SBI and reflects the same amount which the Nokia SBI shows in Euros (the currency in which Nokia will make payments to You). Nokia is not liable for any tax or legal consequences if Your invoice or document deviates from the Nokia SBI details.

4.7. Free Content Restriction

You are prohibited from collecting future charges from end users for Content that those end users were initially allowed to obtain for free. This is not intended to prevent distribution of free trial versions of Your Content with a later upsell option to obtain the full version of the Content. Such free trials for Content are permitted. However, if You want to collect fees after the free trial expires, You must collect all fees for the full version of Your Content through the Program. In this Agreement, "free" means there are no charges or fees of any kind for use of the Content. All fees received by You for Content distributed via the Program must be processed by Nokia.
    ---------------------------------------
    Will "Your" businees model conflict with Ovi T & C. above

You applications are already selling therefore this will probably mean you are successfull on Ovi.

Read what others posting on on Nokia Revenue Sharing

The fact that you wont have to paying for "signing" of apps, will solve many of the questions.

So nobody else answered your questions and your dynamic registration idea may help currently most people are trying to read the IMEI number from phone to register.

Good Luck
    Jim
    Last edited by jimgilmour1; 2009-03-31 at 09:42. Reason: links

Regular Contributor

Thanks Jim (I read your other helpful posts too!).

Has anyone else expressed concerns about uploading full unlocked software to Ovi?
    or is it just me and my twisted paranoia?

Super Contributor

Hi,

Most people are "concerned" about locking to IMEI as does Nokia Developers licence.

This IMEI number along with DRM seem to be the way to lock this.
    Some people have locked to SIM, but this would require CAPABILTY which is not available to developers.

Jim