Discussion Board

Super Contributor

Cannot Launch ToolKit After Install

Posted by Shannon Brown, wap@shannonbrown.net
    on February 15, 2001 at 16:23

Windows 2000 Pro
    Nokia WAP ToolKit 2.1
    JDK 1.3.0

I downloaded the ToolKit and installed following the instructions. When I attempt to launch the ToolKit, I receive a main class not found error. I cannot launch the application with the toolkit.exe nor using a command line. I also attempted to add the toolkit.jar to my CLASSPATH without success.

I did have the 2.0 ToolKit before which worked fine.

Super Contributor

RE: Cannot Launch ToolKit After Install

Posted by Shannon Brown, wap@shannonbrown.net
    on February 16, 2001 at 00:17

I investigated this further including downloading a second copy of the zip file containing the application.

I was able to get the application to work by taking the following steps:

Assumes:
    Windows 2000 Pro
    Java JDK 1.3 is installed
    Logged in as administrator or with administrator priviledges

1. Install the ToolKit using the setup.exe file in the downloadable ZIP file.
    2. After installation, open Windows Explorer. In Explorer, select Tools ... Folder Options.
    3. Select the File Types tab in Folder Options.
    4. Verify that .jar is associated with the java or javaw executable.
    5. If the association is correct, close Explorer. (If not, see mini-howto below.)
    6. Open the Start Menu and navigate to the Nokia WAP Toolkit menu item.
    7. Right click the WAP Toolkit icon and select Properties....
    8. Change the target path from "E:-Program Files-Nokia-WAP_Toolkit-toolkit.exe" to "E:-Program Files-Nokia-WAP_Toolkit-toolkit.jar". IMPORTANT NOTE: The backslash was replaced above with a dash because this forum does not allow a backslash character (no warning either). You are changing only the toolkit.exe to toolkit.jar. Your path may differ from the path displayed here depending on your installation selections. Only the toolkit.jar, however, is relevant.
    9. Click apply.
    10. WAP Toolkit should now launch.

Mini-howto:
    If the .jar extension is NOT associated with the javaw or java executable, perform the following steps:
    1. Open Windows Explorer.
    2. In Explorer, select Tools ... Folder Options.
    3. Select the File Types tab in Folder Options. (You may need to wait a few seconds depending on your processor speed.)
    4. Locate the .jar extension in the listing.
    5. Select the Change button.
    6. A new dialogue box opens. Select the java or preferably the javaw executable from the scollable list of all programs as the program that you want to use to handle .jar files.
    7. Click OK to close the box of programs.
    8. Click Apply to close the Folder Options Dialogue.
    9. Continue with Step 9 above.

This process worked for me but is a real kludge on Nokia's part to expect people to know to perform these steps.