Discussion Board

Will Symbian only games be allowed on Ovi?

I have a product (game) running on N95/N93 devices, using Open GLES 1.1 hardware acceleration... Will these types of games be allowed to be published on the Ovi store? I'm wondering this because of the NGage platform.

Thanks in advance for any information

Super Contributor

Thumbs up Re: Will Symbian only games be allowed on Ovi?

Hi,
    Having read a lot of the specification. You must declare which phone this game is targeted at. The area region, the languages, the mobile phone type.

I know the difficulties with n-Gage well and it was unfortunate that the games required N95 with revision 20 firmware upwards and I did not discover this before buying the game!. This was made difficult by the fact that some people did not believe this

Ovi team will be listening and developers MUST add this restriction to the the description of the app (game).

There wont be any problem if your game rivals another n-gage game as Ovi has stated this will be a "open" market, subject to Copyright law.

One point all developers have to conform to is to have "signed" applications and this is not cheap!, but if your product is already on sale and signed then Ovi will probably be the place.

My view is sign up and wait for your invite.

Good Luck
    Jim

Re: Will Symbian only games be allowed on Ovi?

Quote Originally Posted by jimgilmour1 View Post
    Hi,
    Having read a lot of the specification. You must declare which phone this game is targeted at. The area region, the languages, the mobile phone type.

I know the difficulties with n-Gage well and it was unfortunate that the games required N95 with revision 20 firmware upwards and I did not discover this before buying the game!. This was made difficult by the fact that some people did not believe this

Ovi team will be listening and developers MUST add this restriction to the the description of the app (game).

There wont be any problem if your game rivals another n-gage game as Ovi has stated this will be a "open" market, subject to Copyright law.

One point all developers have to conform to is to have "signed" applications and this is not cheap!, but if your product is already on sale and signed then Ovi will probably be the place.

My view is sign up and wait for your invite.

Good Luck
    Jim
    That's good news... That means for the first time there will be a proper market place for Symbian only games. I guess I'll sign up, then