Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Canvas full screen and activity icons

My application has a Canvas that's running full screen on an N95. When I start a network connection the N95 displays a network connection icon at the top left of my Canvas.

Are there any other status icons that might appear (e.g. low battery)? And what are their locations? Can I discover if a status icon is currently being displayed? (I have my own information I'd like to put on the top line and I need to avoid these icons).

FYI... These icons do not appear when I run my code in the emulator.

Mike

Super Contributor

Re: Canvas full screen and activity icons

I think the network icon is the only one that appears (probably so the user can be aware of any network activity that may imply cost). According to the Java ME Developers' Library:
    Since there is no universal indicator pane to show the network activity indicator, the full screen mode Canvas renders a connection indicator on top of the main pane. Indicator differs depending on the network bearer.

From S60 5th Edition onwards, in the full screen mode, the network indicator is not shown for manufacturer domain applications, and in the operator domain it can be suppressed with a Central Repository setting.

Super Contributor

No, you cannot discover if the network connection icon is displayed (well, your MIDlet knows when the it uses network connection - although the network connection icon might stay on top longer than what you really use the network connection...).

I also think that this is the only one which is shown on the Canvas (and that icon is showed due to wording in MIDP spec, but do not quote me on that, my memory is hazy on this :-)

Hartti

Super Contributor

I'm sure some device has a system property that tells you where it is, but I'm buggered if I can remember what it is. Probably not even be a Nokia.

A lot of devices do this, not just Nokias. Not Motorolas, as "full screen" on Motos doesn't include the notification area.

One thing I can tell you, it can move around. If it's on the left on your phone, it might be on the right on phones configured for Arabic or Hebrew. Don't know about Series 60 specifically, but I'm reliably informed this happens on Series 40.

Nothing else appears, but things like "low battery" can result in an alert on top of the Canvas (hopefully with a hideNotify() event).

I'm afraid the basic workaround is: don't put anything important in the top 32 pixels or so.

Cheers,
    Graham.

Regular Contributor

Thanks guys...

Quote Originally Posted by bogdan.galiceanu View Post
    Bogdan, that link to the Canvas documentation was gold dust in more ways than one... right at the end it says that you can get the center key to generate a keypress event even if the Canvas is not in full screen mode and there are Commands added to the Canvas by setting Nokia-MIDlet-S60-Selection-Key-Compatibility in the JAD file ;-)

A most happy day!

- Mike
    NAVTEQ Network for Developers
    The community for developing innovative location-based applications
    http://NN4D.com