Discussion Board

Super Contributor

Question Question: About access the private directory within two exe applications

Hello,

here is another question:

There are two exe programs used in one installation application: one is a background exe, and the other is a GUI.

I use only one file for storing the configuration parameters of these two programs. I want the configuration file only to be accessible by my application, in other words, I would like it to be stored in the private directory of my application.

But the problem is, there are two private directories. Each program can only access its owns. So the configuration file can not be stored in any one of these two directories.

My questions are:
    if it is possible for one installation application that its exe applications can access their all private directories?
    or
    if there is any other possible directory, which can only be accessible for my own application?

Thanks

Regards

Pai
    Symbian && Android && iPhoneOS

Super Contributor

Re: Question: About access the private directory within two exe applications

Private directory of one application/exe can not be accessed by another application/exe, even if both sites in one installation package. if you want to share data between two application than either keep it in public folder or use IPC mechanism.

Nokia Developer Moderator

If you try accessing private directory of other processes, you need AllFiles capability.

If you don't have allFiles capability, you could instead use non-protected folders.

Or you could make your other process as a server, accessing the data, and all other processes would access the data only through the sever process.

Super Contributor

Thanks for the answering,

because these two exe programs can/must work stand-alone, the configuration file should/must be read by themself alone. So IPC or Client-Server doesn't work for me.

Now, it looks like the configuration file can only be stored in an unprotected directory, althrough it should be hidden for accessing by other 3rd-party applications.

Regards

Pai
    Symbian && Android && iPhoneOS

You could maybe consider using encryption, sinc ethere is realle no way on actually hiding it completely..

Though every question is unique and new, this one seems to be an exception. There is already a parallel thread running in this topic here and now: http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...d.php?t=163523