Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Import To other devices like Palm, MS Mobile and previous version of Nokia

Hi,
    I create a software for S6o device with Symbian c++ in Carbide.c++ editor.And it is working well on S60 device :-).In that software i use calender database in device.Now i want to import my software in other devices like Palm, MS Mobile and previous version of Nokia.
    So is it possible to import my software?
    If yes then pls give some advice which way i should follow.

Thanks in advance.

Auni

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Import To other devices like Palm, MS Mobile and previous version of Nokia

You propably would need to port it, i.e. develop the application in a development kits that are made for devices you want to get the application to work in, and see what parts of your code, and/or logic can be reused..

Regular Contributor

Thanks Yucca for reply.

So,If i want to import this software for S40 device.
    Which way should I follow?

---Auni

You should check the S40 device development options, I suppose the only thing you can do with them is Java MIDP..

Regular Contributor

Thanks yucca for reply.

After get ur information i looked at S40 device documentation.I can't find any help for symbian C++ for that document.All are talking about Java MIDP.

So if i want to import in Palm device with symbian OS.which way should i follow?

Thanks in advance.

Auni

That's because S40 phones are not using Symbian OS, thus, you have to use the development options available for them, just as I said in the last post already.

And if more clarification is needed there is no Symbian based Palm device and Windows Mobile is obviously not Symbian either.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Regular Contributor

Thanks Itomuta and yucca for reply.

So Is there no way to Import my software to other devices like Palm, MS Mobile and previous version of Nokia in Symbian C++ except in S60 device?

Thanks in advance.

Auni

When we talk about Nokia there is no such thing as non-S60 Symbian C++. The UIQ-based devices are Symbian as well so your Symbian C++ application will be easy to modify to make it work on those devices.

For any other devices using any other operating system you will have to re-write the application using the supported programming language and the APIs provided by that OS.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Regular Contributor

Thanks Itomuta for reply.
    "The UIQ-based devices are Symbian as well so your Symbian C++ application will be easy to modify to make it work on those devices."

What is UIQ-based devices?
    do you more clarify about it?Is that means that i am able to port my application in another based device?

---Auni

UIQ is (or rather was) a Symbian OS based software platform, like S60. Here's a list of the UIQ phones: http://uiq.com/phones/
    -- Lucian

Regular Contributor

Thanks Itomuta for reply.

I saw the list of UIQ based devices.So if i want to import my application(which is now running in my Nokia N93 device) which part should i need to change?
    Or which part i need to give more concentration?

Is it possible to develop/improve/change code it in 9.1 SDK and Carbide.c++ editor and test it on the same emulator?

Thanks in advance.

--Auni

No, you cannot use an S60 SDK to develop aplications for an UIQ phone, you need an UIQ SDK that matches the corresponding phone. The UIQ and S60 SDKs however would have to be built on top of the same OS version in order for you to be able to re-use as much as the code as possible.

The main diference bwtween the two platforms is at UI level. It is likely that your calendar relatd code will remain the same but the UI will have to change. Everithing that starts with CAkn* is S60 specific and will not be supported on UIQ and that includes for example the base class for your UI, the CAknAppUI. To start with, create a hello world app with both of the SDKs and compare the generated code.

There should be some document in this site about porting apps to S60, find it, read it and apply it backwards On UIQ you might find similar document as well.
    -- Lucian