Discussion Board

5800 accelerometer brand/specs

Hello,

I need to use a accelerometer enabled phone in my thesis work, the Nokia 5800 seems a good candidate to me, but I can't found any specs about the built in accelerometer of the phone.

Can somebody point me to the 5800 accelerometer model/brand or specs ?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
    Valério Valério

http://www.valeriovalerio.org/

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: 5800 accelerometer brand/specs

Detailed HW specs are hardly ever available publicly, also there is no guarantee that the actual HW would always stay the same. Thus if you can not find the information with google, then it is likely that the information is not in the public space.

Nokia Developer Moderator

I would in fact look at the problem from the API perspective rather than a hardware one. The hardware may have some exotic capabilities but the midleware components that sits between your app and the hardware will not necesarely give you access to hardware's full set/range of features.

So, use the API to load the accelerometer channels and list their properties to see if they are able to provide you the data in the parameters you require.
    Last edited by ltomuta; 2009-04-02 at 10:41.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Thanks for your reply's.

Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta View Post
    I would in fact look at the problem from the API perspective rather than a hardware one. The hardware may have some exotic capabilities but the midleware components that sits between your app and the hardware will not necesarely give you access to hardware's full set/range of features.

So, use the API to load the accelerometer channels and list their properties to see if they are able to provide you the data in the parameters you require.
    The problem here is that I don't have the phone yet, I'm afraid to buy it, and realize that the built in accelerometer is a crappy one
    The N95, N93i and N82 have a decent unit(STMicroelectronics - LIS302DL), so if I don't found more info, I will risk and assume that Nokia don't reduced the quality of the parts in the 5800.

Best regards.
    Valério Valério

http://www.valeriovalerio.org/