I was thinking that the Presence page is something that should be a lot more powerful than what it is. Right now, its pretty stale and something that really doesn't draw into the MWS/Internet of Things idea much of anything. So I wanted to throw some ideas out there for making the presence page something a bit better, and possibly, a bit ground breaking.
First, making the Presence page an outright Contact page
- more than just having device status and device location, it would be hCard encoded with the IM, email, phone, and any other communication-based information. If you will, it would be the literal connecting point for anyone who'd like to connect with you in any type of fashion. Of course, you'd be able to expose what you'd like; but you'd also be able to register that page to a .tel or .name service so that you could appear in registries where others can contact you.
Second, a central RSS area
- this is pretty much possible now - adding all of your public MWS feed addresses to this page. That way, if there's a question of connection to your content streams, its there. But also, you would have the RSS streams to other services such as Twitter, Facebook, etc. so that even those services would have a central connecting point.
Third, embedded Ovi, Yahoo, or Google Map (or links to all of the above but just an embedded Ovi map)
- pretty much says it all; but the map shouldn't just be a link, but embedded. Sports Tracker already showed that this is possible.
Fourth, and embedded "contact immediately" box
- for those times when a person might want to connect, but all they really need to do is shoot you a quick message.
Lastly, an XMPP-type of status which pulls/pushes to/from other applications on the mobile.
- for example, if you are running Ovi Chat, there's a status; the MWS presence page would then pull the status from that application, and therefore there's only one status to manage. But because its on this page, Facebooks, Twitters, etc. would also update with a status/tweet/etc. of what's going on, making a one stop area where your "presence" is announced.
Not sure yet how to make all of this happen, but its an idea that shot across my brow, and I didn't want to leave it on my blog.