Discussion Board

How does the Ovi Store implement Forward Lock (for native S60 apps)?

As far as I can tell from the guide, the only copy protection mechanism for the Ovi Store is OMA DRM 1.0 Forward Lock. Nokia documented [1] that OMA DRM 1.0 by itself is not enough to protect native S60 applications, because the DRM protects only the SISX file, not the installed application. That same document provides a solution to the problem, but the Ovi Publishing Guide doesn't provide enough information to implement that solution.

In particular, the Nokia-proposed solution requires bundling an additional license file in the DRM wrapper, modifying the DRM wrapper, and then modifying the application to manually check the rights. However, in the Ovi Store, the application developer does not control the DRM wrapper. Please provide an explanation and/or example of how to implement this protection.

Thanks,
    Brian

[1] http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n...rotection.html

Regular Contributor

Re: How does the Ovi Store implement Forward Lock (for native S60 apps)?

Hi,
    Bumping this thread as I would like to know the answer to this as well (asked in several other threads)

Super Contributor

Hi,
    I am keen for this DRM topic NOT to spawn lots of threads so I have started a new thread about DRM with FAQ.
    see DRM FAQ Thread

I have studied this over the last few days, this is a complex subject because security always is a balance of ease of use versus limiting wrongful use.

Looking at your original question how to detect I would suggest you look for the presence of the .dd and .dm files that are sent with the encrypted media in the S60 native sis file.
    However I do not know where the .dd and .dm will be located and if you can find them using Symbian c++ ie they may be in some protected space which needs other capability.

The second possible way could be to detected the prescence of the encrypted .sis file rather than the standard .sis file and make your program act based on that decision.

If you need real code the try this Using the DRM API library function CDRMHelper

Well thats my IMHO

Jim
    Last edited by jimgilmour1; 2009-04-19 at 08:02.

Recently, I also spent some time investigating on drm forward-lock and the detection of the encrypted .sis
    Usually, for .dd and .dm files the web-server deliver them using the "Cache-Control: no-cache" header, this means that much probably will not be possible to get those files from the public browser cache directory.

And ufortunately, as far as I understood, for using the CDRMHelper and CContent ( http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...50&postcount=4 ) classes the DRM capability is needed.
    So, unless the developer has the DRM capability, seems to be impossible to detect if an application has been protected with forward-lock or not...

I've also found a post from Antony Pranata, about a special case... the DRM capability is not needed when the license server protects the content using the application SID, but I couldn't find further informations about this, and moreover, I don't know if it's valid for forward-lock or only for combinated-delivery/separate-delivery.
    http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...92&postcount=3

Marco.

EDIT:
    Btw, the main problem is that to detect if the content has been protected or not, you need to specify the full path of the protected content and due to the "no-cache" header, probably it will not be stored in a publicly accessible directory.
    Last edited by ilsocio; 2009-04-19 at 11:55.

Hi all!!

i've read this topic, but there's no answer: How does the Ovi Store implement Forward Lock (for native S60 apps)?

Does Ovi protect sis-file only or it's content too?

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by BouratKo View Post
    How does the Ovi Store implement Forward Lock (for native S60 apps)?

Does Ovi protect sis-file only or it's content too?
    Ovi Store doesn't [forward lock native S60 apps/.sis/.sisx files or their content) at all].