Discussion Board

Send location via SMS, when reciving SMS with passcode

Hi.

Does anyone know of an application that will return the GPS location when the phone recives an SMS with a predefinde pass code?

J;-)

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Send location via SMS, when reciving SMS with passcode

On this site we are discussing about creating such applications not about finding them. For your problem you can use either Google or a users forum, such as http://discussions.europe.nokia.com
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Sorry about that.

I would how ever code it myself if I had ths skills.
    It's been 10 years since I last coded in C and 4 years since I last wrote any code.

Can you give me som pointers on how to get started.
    I'm guessing I need a module (object to read GPS possition. a module to scan SMS messages for the passcode. and a module to send an SMS with the location once the passcode is recived. If I'm realy lucky these 3 modules already excist and I just have to put them together.

Can I do it for free?
    Do the modules exist?
    How do I find the information I need, Google has not been my friend on this project!

J;-)

Here's a search that will show you an example on how to read your location and send it by SMS: "location sms example".

The part about intercepting the command sent by SMS is a bit more complicated but there are infos and examples in the Wiki: http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.php/SMS_Utilities_API

Yes, you can do all this for free (as long as you don't plan a commercial release, for that you may have to certify your app and that does require some money), all the tools and SDK's needed are free.

Depending on the phone you intend to use the programing languages available may vary but at best the range of languages includes: Symbian C++, Java, Python for S60, Qt for S60 ... The example above are for Symbian C++ (see useful link in my signature as well) but you can find similar help for the other programming languages as well.

If facing any problems do ask for help in the language specific forums of this discussion board. Good luck!
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Is anyone working on an application that will send the current GPS location to another mobile and make that location visible on the recipient's phone map and therefore available for route finding.

Conversation along the lines of "I'm in this great bar, you've got to get over here. I'm lost, I don't know what it's called or where it is but you should come here. I'll send you my location and your phone can tell you how to find me."

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by delboysmith View Post
    Is anyone working on an application that will send the current GPS location to another mobile and make that location visible on the recipient's phone map and therefore available for route finding.

Conversation along the lines of "I'm in this great bar, you've got to get over here. I'm lost, I don't know what it's called or where it is but you should come here. I'll send you my location and your phone can tell you how to find me."
    The previous post still holds good for your query, if you want to create an application like that. If you want to find out if an application like that already exists or not, you would do well to post that query on the end user discussion forum http://www.nokia.com/discussions

Cheers,
    Mayank

Quote Originally Posted by delboysmith View Post

This feature is built-in on LBS enabled S60 phones. Open the Landmarks app, create a landmark with your current position (or select exsiting one) and then send it to your friend. On receive he will save the landmark on his phone and then initiate navigation to it.
    -- Lucian