Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Understanding circuit components

Hello Everyone,

I would appreciate some suggestions on where to commence understanding a circuit board schematic diagram. To that extent, I have invested in the simplest phone I could - a Nokia 1100 - and dismantled it correctly. I also obtained access to its schematic diagram.

Several suggestions point towards understanding Ohm's Law and electricity basics. All I would want to do for now is to know what these black boxes represent. Here is the corresponding block diagram too.

Look forward to a prompt response.

Best regards,
    wirefee101

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Understanding circuit components

"All I would want", that is cute :-) The tricky part is that electrical engineers learn such things for years, and only the ones who specialize on this particular topic (microelectronics and/or manufacturing) would have a chance.
    What you see is a printed circuit board (PCB, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Printed_circuit_board), having surface mounted devices (SMD, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface-mount_technology) on it. The PCB may have many hidden layers, what you do not even see. The big black boxes are IC packages, since they have various identifiers printed on them, you may try searching for them with Google.
    Ohm's Law is nice and important, but that is definitely not enough for understanding the internals of a mobile phone.
    The other picture you have is just a layout of the components, it says more about how the "stuff" is fitted into the box, than about how it actually works.