Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

jar file download problem

Hi all,
    I am new to J2ME programming. I have created a jar file for my application and have placed it in the webserver. I have also written a html page on the server which contains a hyperlink to the jar file (so that the file can be downloaded). Now when i open the html page using my phone browser (6110 Navigator) and select the hyperlink to download the jar file into the phone (via GPRS), i get an error message on the phone (unable to open filebject type not supported). I want to know how to solve this problem so that the jar file can be dowloaded to my phone over the air.

thanks and regards,
    krishna.

Super Contributor

Re: jar file download problem

Two things:

1. You should upload both a JAD and JAR file, and begin downloading the JAD (the JAR will then download automatically). Some phones can download the JAR directly, but this is not strictly the correct process, and many phones will not allow it.

2. MIME types. HTTP servers associate a type with each file extension. To deploy a mobile Java application, the following types are needed.

Code:
        .jad -> text/vnd.sun.j2me.app-descriptor
        .jar -> application/java-archive
    It is also worth installing by cable or Bluetooth, just to check that the application will work on the phone at all.

Cheers,
    Graham.