Discussion Board

Developing on Nokia 6101s

Hi,

Could any of you share some comments on their experience in developing with the Nokia 6101s?

This is what I will be doing for a project in Senegal, Africa. I am interested in hearing about previous experiences. I will share mine.

How is the Series 40 Platform SDKs emulator convenient for development? What are the differences between the device and the emulator?

Thanks in advance,

Christelle
    Last edited by scharffc; 2009-04-08 at 13:45.

Super Contributor

Re: Developing on Nokia 6101s

I think the main problem is that the Series 40 Platform 2 SDK only provides an emulator for 128x128, not 128x160. Also, the default heap size is probably too large (1Mb rather than 500k), but you can change that. Otherwise, the S40 SDKs are generally good, and S40 itself is a good platform for development (stable, well documented, well supported). Compatibility between Series 40 devices is generally good.

Beyond that... it depends what kind of application you want to develop.

Cheers,
    Graham.

Super Contributor

I do agree with graham, mostly I have been developing on a 6233 (also S40) and a N95 (S60) and I have to say that the 6233 is somewhat more stable and actually more user-friendly (no need to tell app which access point to use)...
    also in several apps I notices it can be at least as fast as the N95 (sometimes even faster whilst having a slower cpu)...

Super Contributor

What are the differences between the device and the emulator?
    The application you must be developing for the client ..correct..and I think client will run the application on the real device and not on the emulator...

In addition to this,emulator is for the developer and not for the client...not for the targeted user...

And the behavior of the application on the emulator and device can vary..ok..then what you think..if an issue is coming on device and not on the emulator..then can you deliver the product to the client.. I wonder if you can....

Thats the difference according to me...
    Thanks with Regards,

R a j - The K e r n e l

Join Delhi-NCR Nokia Developer's Community,

Super Contributor

the emulator actually just emulates a real device...
    it tries to replicate its functionality as good as possible and within its limits...
    that means that an emulator is NEVER completely the same as an actual device...
    so problems that present themselves on one don't necessarily have to present themselves on the other...
    after all, while running an emulator your pc (and its processor, memory / hardware) is trying to replicate the emulated device, but it ISN'T the device !
    most of the time (lets say above the 90%) an emulator will actually behave like the real device but in some cases it simply wont...

The greatest difference I guess for us is that for debugging purposes an emulator (and an IDE) are more developer-friendly As in you have a System.out to write to and u can debug (single-step, breakpoints and all that kind of crazyness)...
    But in the end an application ALWAYS will have to be tested on the desired device(s) !!!

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger79 View Post
    But in the end an application ALWAYS will have to be tested on the desired device(s) !!!
    I agree entirely.

That said, the Series 40 emulators are amongst the most faithful to the device. The S40 platform 2 emulator is a good emulation of the 6230. Not, unfortunately in this case, the 6101. However, compatibility between Series 40 devices is good.

Like Tiger, I definitely prefer Series 40 for development over Series 60. It doesn't necessarily do as much, but it usually does it all well.