Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Problem with Express Signed

Hi,

I have the following problem, with Express Signing:
    I can sign it using Open Offline Signed, but can't sign with Express Sign.

I followed these steps:

1) I purchased a Symbian Publisher ID (a .pfx file) from Trust Center;

2) I used a tool (TC-ConvertP12) to generate a .cer and a .key files from the .pfx file;

3) I used another tool (DevCertRequest) to get a .cer file that enables Location capability for my test phone device's IMEI;

4) I signed my application with the .cer file generated in step (3). And it worked fine for debug purposes in a specific IMEI (my test phone device).

After that, I tried some steps that didn't work:

When submitting to Express Sign (www.symbiansigned.com), the portal told me that my app wasn't signed properly. Then, I tried to sign .sis with the .cer file created in step (2) instead of using the one created in step (3). After that, I changed the UID of my application* (that was in the test range) to an UID that I got from www.symbiansigned.com portal. And it made Express Sign to complete.

(*) I used Ctrl+H to replace all the occurrences of my old test range UID for the new production UID allocated. I don't know if it's the correct way to do this.

But after downloading the Express Signed version of my software, I tried to install it on the device.

The installation begins fine, but when the progress bar reaches the 3/4 of it, I get the following failure:
    "Unable to Install!".

I resetted the device, but the problem remains the same.

Please somebody help me.

Thanks.

BR

Raffael

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Problem with Express Signed

The tool is always right so obviously you have to review your unserstanding of the signing process and then try again. Among the things that should be clear to you the main one is that Express Signing is a release certification process and not your regular development/R&D workflow. Thus, any tool or mechanism having DevCert (development certificate) in it will be automaticaly exluded. The signing is also dones so that the app can be installed on any supported device so any IMEI-based description is excluded as well.

Quote Originally Posted by raffaelbechara View Post
    Hi,

I have the following problem, with Express Signing:
    I can sign it using Open Offline Signed, but can't sign with Express Sign.

I followed these steps:

1) I purchased a Symbian Publisher ID (a .pfx file) from Trust Center;

2) I used a tool (TC-ConvertP12) to generate a .cer and a .key files from the .pfx file;

3) I used another tool (DevCertRequest) to get a .cer file that enables Location capability for my test phone device's IMEI;

4) I signed my application with the .cer file generated in step (3).
    And it worked fine for debug purposes in a specific IMEI (my test phone device).

After that, I tried some steps that didn't work:

When submitting to Express Sign (www.symbiansigned.com), the portal told me that my app wasn't signed properly. Then, I tried to sign .sis with the .cer file created in step (2) instead of using the one created in step (3). After that, I changed the UID of my application* (that was in the test range) to an UID that I got from www.symbiansigned.com portal. And it made Express Sign to complete.

(*) I used Ctrl+H to replace all the occurrences of my old test range UID for the new production UID allocated. I don't know if it's the correct way to do this.

But after downloading the Express Signed version of my software, I tried to install it on the device.

The installation begins fine, but when the progress bar reaches the 3/4 of it, I get the following failure:
    "Unable to Install!".

I resetted the device, but the problem remains the same.

Please somebody help me.

Thanks.

BR

Raffael
    3) and 4) above are wrong, due to the reasons explain in the first part of this post. You have to replace them with

3a) sign the unisigned SIS file with the TC PublisherID certificate
    4a) use the VerifySymbianSigned tool to verify correct signing
    5) submit to Express Signed

Detailed steb-by-step instructions are available in the wiki: http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...r_Publisher_ID
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Nokia Developer Moderator

Do check the application with developer certificate also, I would suspect that you forgot to change something in your pkg file (like private path to the old UID).

Nokia Developer Champion

Yes, i guess he forgot to change UID(in path) in .pkg when he replaced test UID.

Regular Contributor

Among the things that should be clear to you the main one is that Express Signing is a release certification process and not your regular development/R&D workflow. Thus, any tool or mechanism having DevCert (development certificate) in it will be automaticaly exluded.
    How would I debug my app? If the UID for DevCert and Express Signing are differents from each other!
    I must swap them every time I do debug or do release?

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by savaj View Post
    Yes, i guess he forgot to change UID(in path) in .pkg when he replaced test UID.
    I used Ctrl+H in Carbide.c++, and have replaced all the occurrences of the old UID for the new UID, even in .pkg file.

Regular Contributor

And also: this problem made me to spent one Content ID.
    20 dollars spent!!

Nokia Developer Champion

Make it easy. You can use protected range of UID in the development phase also. No need to swap it now and then. Just use protected range of UID if you are planning to go for Symbian Signing(Express signing in your case).

Now as far as your latest problem is concerned, I think that you forgot to change all the occurrences of your old UID. When you search for UID in your application, you should search for 2xxxxxxx, not for 0x2xxxxxx. Make sure that there is no any occurrence of your old UID in you project.

Finally give it a try with searching with Windows search feature by staying in your current project directory.

PS: See this link when you play with TC TrustCenter Publisher ID: http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...r_Publisher_ID
    Nokia Developer Wiki Moderation team

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by symbianyucca View Post
    Do check the application with developer certificate also, I would suspect that you forgot to change something in your pkg file (like private path to the old UID).
    When you search for UID in your application, you should search for 2xxxxxxx, not for 0x2xxxxxx.
    Really I forgot to do it.
    I'll try again now... (but I have to buy another Content ID first).

Nokia Developer Champion

Really I forgot to do it.
    I'll try again now... (but I have to buy another Content ID first).
    You should have asked it here before you went to Symbian Signing. You should also verify many times when it comes to money.
    Nokia Developer Wiki Moderation team

Nokia Developer Champion

And also: this problem made me to spent one Content ID.
    20 dollars spent!!

You changed UID of application and not tested it atleast once?? I personally suggest you to test application with developer certificate before sending it to symbiansigned(for certified/express signing).

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by kiran10182 View Post
    Make it easy. You can use protected range of UID in the development phase also. No need to swap it now and then. Just use protected range of UID if you are planning to go for Symbian Signing(Express signing in your case).

Now as far as your latest problem is concerned, I think that you forgot to change all the occurrences of your old UID. When you search for UID in your application, you should search for 2xxxxxxx, not for 0x2xxxxxx. Make sure that there is no any occurrence of your old UID in you project.

Finally give it a try with searching with Windows search feature by staying in your current project directory.

PS: See this link when you play with TC TrustCenter Publisher ID: http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...r_Publisher_ID
    for 2xxxxxxx, not for 0x2xxxxxx
    This solved my problem. Thank you very much all that helped me.