Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

[moved] On device debugging and capabilities problem

Hi. I have a problem. I have made new Symbian OS project in Carbide 2.0. It has capability ReadUserData. This project starts on device by carbide fine. I have added AllFiles capability and carbide can't start this process.
    Carbide log:
    ---IDE------------------------------------------------------
    Command: 0x40 Create Item
    Sub Cmd: Create Process
    Options: 0x00
    Length: 39
    File Path: C:\sys\bin\ some name .exe
    [40 1C 00 00 00 00 27 43 3A 5C 73 79 73 5C 62 69
    6E 5C 54 65 73 74 4B 4D 53 38 47 75 69 5F 30 78...]
    ---TRK------------------------------------------------------
    Command: 0x80 Acknowledge
    Error: 0x20 Unspecified general OS-related error
    [80 1C 20]

Sis is signed with certificate which has AllFiles capability. I can start this application, which carbide installed, manually and it's works fine.

Any ideas, why carbide can't start application with AllFiles capability, which starts fine manually?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: On device debugging and capabilities problem

Quote Originally Posted by dek_t View Post
    Any ideas, why carbide can't start application with AllFiles capability, which starts fine manually?
    It is just a feeling - I am using ODD for 1.5 weeks only -, but I am not entirely sure if TRK really installs your code. Can you check if the application you start manually on the device is really the newest version, having AllFiles capability?

Re: On device debugging and capabilities problem

One possible problem is that your application links to a DLL which does not have the AllFiles capability. As such the app cannot start since it cannot load the required DLL.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Regular Contributor

Re: [moved] On device debugging and capabilities problem

Hi, ltomuta. As I said it is carbide new project template. I didn't add or delete something to project. It all just for test that ODD is working. I have tried on several phones 3.0-3.2. Several versions of trk. Carbide has the latest update. Exe has AllFiles ReadUserData capabilities. Program works on phone if I start it manually, but carbide can't start process. I have tried the same on phones with no cabability check patch, same behavior. I still don't know what the problem. Has anybody tried this situation?
    P.S. Carbide starts process if it has ReadUserData and doesn't have AllFiles. I think it is some bug.
    Last edited by dek_t; 2009-04-08 at 22:01.

Sorry, I've missed the later part about being able to start the app on its own, the first part of your posts suggest the opposite.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Regular Contributor

Additional info. Carbide can't start gui process if it has DRM or AllFiles capabilities. Carbide starts process if it has CommDD DiskAdmin LocalServices Location MultimediaDD NetworkControl NetworkServices PowerMgmt ProtServ ReadDeviceData ReadUserData SurroundingsDD SwEvent TrustedUI UserEnvironment WriteDeviceData WriteUserData. Has anybody tried this?
    Last edited by dek_t; 2009-04-08 at 22:08.

Regular Contributor

I find the same thing, though this was a long time ago.