Discussion Board

FTP in S60 3rd MR

Hi,
    I need an advice what's the easiest way to upload a file on a ftp server in S60 3rd MR. I have so far found Ftp Client example, but it's only for S60 2nd FP1-FP3 and Open C Ftp example, but I have no experience with using an Open C in Symbian C++ application. Does anyone know some other possibility ? Some open source API ?

Thank you,
    Petr

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: FTP in S60 3rd MR

You already have 2 example codes, what kind of additional features would you expect from a 3rd one?
    Do not be afraid of the S60 2nd edition example, its relevant parts will work on S60 3rd edition too (you can even port it completely if you want, in the Docs section above select Documentation, Symbian C++, Compatibility, and there will be a 2nd->3rd porting guide). Just get an impression about how it works, and try to integrate it into your own code (to a generated Hello World for example), using hard-coded constants first.

Thank you, wizard_hu. I'll try to port it. I didn't know it's possible to port to newer edition. I was afraid that applications based on the same libraries will be not running on S60 3r MR, because I've read here, that Symbian is not supporting FTP from S60 3rd.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Well, that can be a problem indeed. When I was writing about porting, I thought about an RSocket-based FTP engine. However if it uses a special API which does not exist any more, porting will not succeed.

I have tried it now and it doesn't work, although the ftpsess.lib, insock.lib and ftpsess.h are present in SDK. It doesn't even connect to ftp server. So do you know about some RSocket-based FTP engine ? I need to transfer a file from mobile device with Symbian and get this file to the client application, I thought FTP is the easiest way. Do you have any other idea to do this, please ? Any other solution then sending over tcp/ip directly to the client application ? (I don't have much time to implement this). Thank you.
    Last edited by petr_kovar; 2009-04-09 at 15:15.