Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Exclamation QA Failed on "Free Content Restriction"

Hi,
    I am the Symbian development manager for a mobile software company that has been in the S60 scene for several years.

We tried to publish our applications to Ovi and failed for this reason:

Failed case: Free Content Restriction
    Summary: Application requires registration for the full version at [company_website]

Currently, our applications have a 12-day full-working trial version which is free to download.
    Once the trial is over, the application shows a "Trial expired" dialog referring users to go to our website to purchase a registration code to unlock the "trial".

1) What do we need to do in order to pass this QA?
    2) Is the problem that we referred users to our website and not the Ovi website? or is it a different problem?
    3) Do we need to refer users to the Ovi website? (if so, which URL?)
    4) Does Ovi Store use a RPN registration system to generate keys for software according to their IMEIs?
    5) Does Ovi only support two versions: (a) Full version (no reg. code needed) (b) Free trial-version (with no un-lock option)
    6) Will there be two options available for the user to choose from? One - a full version and two - a trial version?
    7) Do we need to submit 2 SIS files for EACH app? - one full (no reg screen) and one trial?
    8) If we submit 2 versions - one full and one trial. Is the full version content type with a price and trial version content type of "free" ?

Are there any more details that are needed?

Thanks!
    Last edited by m00gl3; 2009-04-10 at 22:36.

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: QA Failed on "Free Content Restriction"

Hi Roy,

Sorry to hear you're having issues. I've passed along the information you've provided to our publish to Ovi team and asked them to look into your problem.
    [B]Bill Perry[/B]
    Sr. Services Marketing Manager, Forum Nokia
    Publishing to Ovi Store: [url]http://publish.ovi.com/[/url]
    twitter: [url]www.twitter.com/bperry[/url]
    blog: [url]www.mobileperry.com[/url]

I've just ran into the same exact issue. In the documentation it seems to indicate only forward lock DRM is supported, if this is the case, then how do we offer a demo? Two files like Roy suggested, a demo and a full version?

Cheers!

Josh

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by m00gl3 View Post
    Hi,
    I am the Symbian development manager for a mobile software company that has been in the S60 scene for several years.

We tried to publish our applications to Ovi and failed for this reason:

Failed case: Free Content Restriction
    Summary: Application requires registration for the full version at [company_website]

Currently, our applications have a 12-day full-working trial version which is free to download.
    Once the trial is over, the application shows a "Trial expired" dialog referring users to go to our website to purchase a registration code to unlock the "trial".
    Hi,
    First just to say I am not conected with the Ovi team. I am a Wiki Aministrator who has been following Ovi. So this is IMHO.

There is in there is in the T & C a condition Quote

4.7. Free Content Restriction

You are prohibited from collecting future charges from end users for Content that those end users were initially allowed to obtain for free. This is not intended to prevent distribution of free trial versions of Your Content with a later upsell option to obtain the full version of the Content. Such free trials for Content are permitted.
    However, if You want to collect fees after the free trial expires, You must collect all fees for the full version of Your Content through the Program. In this Agreement, "free" means there are no charges or fees of any kind for use of the Content. All fees received by You for Content distributed via the Program must be processed by Nokia.

2) Is the problem that we referred users to our website and not the Ovi website? or is it a different problem?
    Yes according to the T & C above this is the problem
    You must collect all fees for the full version of Your Content through the Program
    3) Do we need to refer users to the Ovi website? (if so, which URL?)

[B]However, if You want to collect fees after the free trial expires, You must collect all fees for the full version of Your Content through the Program. [/B
    This seems to imply that you will have a full version with the full price that is "unlocked" AS WELL AS the demo (time-locked) version.

Depending on how interpret these terms "this could mean" you can only supply "feature missing" versions without a time lock.

When listening to the April 9 webinar, the discussion was about "time locked" version with the payment point as zero(Free) and a version with some payment point selected. Hopefully webinar with answers will be on line.

4) Does Ovi Store use a RPN registration system to generate keys for software according to their IMEIs?
    No, this was one of the 40 webinar questions that were bought up during the end of webinar.
    The protection is currently DRM 1.0 see http://forumnokia.emea.acrobat.com/p25715907/ DRM webinar.

5) Does Ovi only support two versions: (a) Full version (no reg. code needed) (b) Free trial-version (with no un-lock option)
    IMHO thats what the T&C implies see 4.1
    However, if You want to collect fees after the free trial expires, You must collect all fees for the full version of Your Content through the Program.
    1) What do I need to do to pass QA
    This is the big one. and why left till last!

IMHO you need to change the URL to point to and unlocked version on the Ovi store. Thats currently impossible,at 11 April, as this is not open therefore the only recommeded url is http://store.ovi.com which is the URL to be used by the store.

To completely check this you will need the "full version" on the store.

This seems to imply that two new versions "free demo", time lock, and the full version, for DRM lock, the implication is that both need to be signed.

In Summary you questions are critical to every developer of any type. From the independant developer the large costs of signing make Symbian signed "free" unrealistic. The Java Verified prices of $200 a years joining and $20 per signing are more realistic.

As stated at the beginning these are my opinions, for more about these and a place where you can put tell other developers about you products
    http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph..._the_Ovi_store

Good Luck
    Jim Gilmour
    Forum Nokia Champion
    Forum Nokia Wiki Administrator

Regular Contributor

Bumping this thread.

I did not get any reply on this...

[1] Do we need to make TWO versions for EACH application?
    1) Full version (Content Type = "Amount $"?)
    2) Demo version with 12-day expiration period (Content Type = FREE?)

[2] Also, once the demo is over, to what link do I forward the user? (we have a dialog saying "This demo has expired. To get the full version, please visit URL" - what is the URL the user should visit?

[3] And if we need two versions for EACH app - that will cost us 40$ (both the demo and the full version have to be signed). Is this correct?!

[4] Also, I did not get any answer to why we failed the QA test with the link that we had (we forwarded the user to our website and not the Ovi website).

Can someone from OVI please answer this? We are getting close to launch and have no solution as of yet...