×

Discussion Board

Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Regular Contributor
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    416

    Carbide C++ 2.0: crippled build and design scripts

    Hello,

    I experience these two problems. I would like to know how to avoid them. There is maybe a problem between my chair and the keyboard, but I would like to ask others about this.

    1) (SDK Symbian 9.2) I have installed the development environment in default places. I'm maintaining few non trivial projects and sub-projects. It happens from time to time. I must delete/clean all project files in the epoc32 build directories because the sources in Carbide C++ are simply ignored, even thought I rebuilt the project, cleaned it. The console output looks like everything is all right, sis/sisx packages looks like fresh but the problem is that they contains an old binary file - event thought the sources were compiled. The problem is that it is often not obvious that an old binaries are packed within the sis/sisx files. For example in case when the program panics/crashes. I'm curious about it because if I do (random)9 compilations correctly, without problem, then why the 10th compilation is pretended, using a sort of cache or so?

    2) If I create a container using Carbide UI Design Editor, then again from time to time the editor just says something like: I can not save the new design because I do not understand the code, it is maybe crippled. It happens usually ifI add a method handling an event. If I look in the code, it's terrible view, because the *** editor ruined my code (reader might say that I should avoid generated areas, yes I do). Repeatedly using SVN to fix this is annoying procedure because even thought I manage to fix that, I loose time, and every time there is no backup version in svn unless I do an atomic commits, which does not solve the problem either.

    Thank you for your comments.

  2. #2
    Super Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    9,968

    Re: Carbide C++ 2.0: crippled build and design scripts

    Quote Originally Posted by elviin View Post
    Hello,

    I experience these two problems. I would like to know how to avoid them. There is maybe a problem between my chair and the keyboard, but I would like to ask others about this.

    1) (SDK Symbian 9.2) I have installed the development environment in default places. I'm maintaining few non trivial projects and sub-projects. It happens from time to time. I must delete/clean all project files in the epoc32 build directories because the sources in Carbide C++ are simply ignored, even thought I rebuilt the project, cleaned it. The console output looks like everything is all right, sis/sisx packages looks like fresh but the problem is that they contains an old binary file - event thought the sources were compiled. The problem is that it is often not obvious that an old binaries are packed within the sis/sisx files. For example in case when the program panics/crashes. I'm curious about it because if I do (random)9 compilations correctly, without problem, then why the 10th compilation is pretended, using a sort of cache or so?
    It happens to me when i try testing on emulator for some builds but not that regularly. happens once a 100 times.
    2) If I create a container using Carbide UI Design Editor, then again from time to time the editor just says something like: I can not save the new design because I do not understand the code, it is maybe crippled. It happens usually ifI add a method handling an event. If I look in the code, it's terrible view, because the *** editor ruined my code (reader might say that I should avoid generated areas, yes I do). Repeatedly using SVN to fix this is annoying procedure because even thought I manage to fix that, I loose time, and every time there is no backup version in svn unless I do an atomic commits, which does not solve the problem either.

    Thank you for your comments.
    It happens when you add some things in "Donot change" areas of the generated code.

  3. #3
    Regular Contributor
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    416

    Re: Carbide C++ 2.0: crippled build and design scripts

    Quote Originally Posted by skumar_rao View Post
    It happens to me when i try testing on emulator for some builds but not that regularly. happens once a 100 times.
    Yes I can not give an exact number but it happens.


    Quote Originally Posted by skumar_rao View Post
    It happens when you add some things in "Donot change" areas of the generated code.
    Yes I know, I'm very careful about it. I did not touch the area and the editor changes the code in weird way, putting method bodies in a nonsense place, a part is here, other part is there. It happens rarely but happens.

    Another annoyance I would like to mention is related to the TRK debugger. Again it happens from time to time. I can debug a program for three times without changing certificates, UID's etc, but on the 4th attempt the debugger says that it can not download the installation file to the device because of: 1) time on the device is not synced with time on PC, 2) the UID clashes with already installed application.

  4. #4
    Super Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    9,968

    Re: Carbide C++ 2.0: crippled build and design scripts

    Quote Originally Posted by elviin View Post
    Another annoyance I would like to mention is related to the TRK debugger. Again it happens from time to time. I can debug a program for three times without changing certificates, UID's etc, but on the 4th attempt the debugger says that it can not download the installation file to the device because of: 1) time on the device is not synced with time on PC, 2) the UID clashes with already installed application.
    This does not happened with me,

    note: you can notify about any issue you face with the Bug Report tool and help stabilizing the tool.

  5. #5
    Regular Contributor
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    416

    Re: Carbide C++ 2.0: crippled build and design scripts

    Quote Originally Posted by skumar_rao View Post
    This does not happened with me,

    note: you can notify about any issue you face with the Bug Report tool and help stabilizing the tool.
    Thank you Skumar. I just want to have a sort of reference with other developers before complaining officially. As I said the problem is maybe between my chair and the keyboard

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 2008-12-09, 18:21

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
×