Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Carbide C++ 2.0: crippled build and design scripts

Hello,

I experience these two problems. I would like to know how to avoid them. There is maybe a problem between my chair and the keyboard, but I would like to ask others about this.

1) (SDK Symbian 9.2) I have installed the development environment in default places. I'm maintaining few non trivial projects and sub-projects. It happens from time to time. I must delete/clean all project files in the epoc32 build directories because the sources in Carbide C++ are simply ignored, even thought I rebuilt the project, cleaned it. The console output looks like everything is all right, sis/sisx packages looks like fresh but the problem is that they contains an old binary file - event thought the sources were compiled. The problem is that it is often not obvious that an old binaries are packed within the sis/sisx files. For example in case when the program panics/crashes. I'm curious about it because if I do (random)9 compilations correctly, without problem, then why the 10th compilation is pretended, using a sort of cache or so?

2) If I create a container using Carbide UI Design Editor, then again from time to time the editor just says something like: I can not save the new design because I do not understand the code, it is maybe crippled. It happens usually ifI add a method handling an event. If I look in the code, it's terrible view, because the *** editor ruined my code (reader might say that I should avoid generated areas, yes I do). Repeatedly using SVN to fix this is annoying procedure because even thought I manage to fix that, I loose time, and every time there is no backup version in svn unless I do an atomic commits, which does not solve the problem either.

Thank you for your comments.

Super Contributor

Re: Carbide C++ 2.0: crippled build and design scripts

Quote Originally Posted by elviin View Post
    Hello,

I experience these two problems. I would like to know how to avoid them. There is maybe a problem between my chair and the keyboard, but I would like to ask others about this.

1) (SDK Symbian 9.2) I have installed the development environment in default places. I'm maintaining few non trivial projects and sub-projects. It happens from time to time. I must delete/clean all project files in the epoc32 build directories because the sources in Carbide C++ are simply ignored, even thought I rebuilt the project, cleaned it. The console output looks like everything is all right, sis/sisx packages looks like fresh but the problem is that they contains an old binary file - event thought the sources were compiled. The problem is that it is often not obvious that an old binaries are packed within the sis/sisx files. For example in case when the program panics/crashes. I'm curious about it because if I do (random)9 compilations correctly, without problem, then why the 10th compilation is pretended, using a sort of cache or so?
    It happens to me when i try testing on emulator for some builds but not that regularly. happens once a 100 times.
    2) If I create a container using Carbide UI Design Editor, then again from time to time the editor just says something like: I can not save the new design because I do not understand the code, it is maybe crippled. It happens usually ifI add a method handling an event. If I look in the code, it's terrible view, because the *** editor ruined my code (reader might say that I should avoid generated areas, yes I do). Repeatedly using SVN to fix this is annoying procedure because even thought I manage to fix that, I loose time, and every time there is no backup version in svn unless I do an atomic commits, which does not solve the problem either.

Thank you for your comments.
    It happens when you add some things in "Donot change" areas of the generated code.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by skumar_rao View Post
    It happens to me when i try testing on emulator for some builds but not that regularly. happens once a 100 times.
    Yes I can not give an exact number but it happens.

It happens when you add some things in "Donot change" areas of the generated code.
    Yes I know, I'm very careful about it. I did not touch the area and the editor changes the code in weird way, putting method bodies in a nonsense place, a part is here, other part is there. It happens rarely but happens.

Another annoyance I would like to mention is related to the TRK debugger. Again it happens from time to time. I can debug a program for three times without changing certificates, UID's etc, but on the 4th attempt the debugger says that it can not download the installation file to the device because of: 1) time on the device is not synced with time on PC, 2) the UID clashes with already installed application.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by elviin View Post
    Another annoyance I would like to mention is related to the TRK debugger. Again it happens from time to time. I can debug a program for three times without changing certificates, UID's etc, but on the 4th attempt the debugger says that it can not download the installation file to the device because of: 1) time on the device is not synced with time on PC, 2) the UID clashes with already installed application.
    This does not happened with me,

note: you can notify about any issue you face with the Bug Report tool and help stabilizing the tool.

Regular Contributor

This does not happened with me,

note: you can notify about any issue you face with the Bug Report tool and help stabilizing the tool.
    Thank you Skumar. I just want to have a sort of reference with other developers before complaining officially. As I said the problem is maybe between my chair and the keyboard