Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular Contributor

Angry [moved] Carbide produces useless sis files

Why do I HAVE to get an application of my own signed to put it on my own phone? Worse why does the Carbide dev environment provide me with a sis file that is useless for anything but sending via a web page to a web service which then tinkers with it and sends me an email so I use a webservice to download a file that isn't useless?
    Why doesn't the carbide allow me to provide my own cert, or perhaps the phone allow me to say 'I know its not signed but I want the application', or at least Carbide should be able to tell me that the file isn't a proper sis, isn't any use, needs signing and guide me through the process?
    What if I don't have internet connection can I not develop - no, what if the webservice is 'down' then I'm stuck.
    The tag line for S60 says open for innovation - so far my experience is that its anything BUT open for innovation.

Regular Contributor

Re: Carbide produces useless sis files

And already I can feel the pain, its now 5 minutes and all I've got is an email saying something is processing the application. Please, the idea of modern development tools on your own PC is that the development cycle is short and sweet, I can write something, try it, mod it, try it again in seconds, not minutes!!!!
    Might as well go back to mainframes and queueing builds up and waiting until the morning!

Dark ages we're heading your way again!

Super Contributor

Why doesn't the carbide allow me to provide my own cert,
    yes it does do read Carbide.C++ Docs.

Regular Contributor

So now I have the signed sis and try and install it. Things appear to go well then there is a message box appears, something about the certificate, but some numpty has decided that users don't need to read errors that meant an application failed to install so rips it off the screen before you can read it.
    Please can someone find who is responsible for this stuff and force them to use it??????

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by dhitchman View Post
    Why do I HAVE to get an application of my own signed to put it on my own phone? Worse why does the Carbide dev environment provide me with a sis file that is useless for anything but sending via a web page to a web service which then tinkers with it and sends me an email so I use a webservice to download a file that isn't useless?
    Why doesn't the carbide allow me to provide my own cert, or perhaps the phone allow me to say 'I know its not signed but I want the application', or at least Carbide should be able to tell me that the file isn't a proper sis, isn't any use, needs signing and guide me through the process?
    What if I don't have internet connection can I not develop - no, what if the webservice is 'down' then I'm stuck.
    The tag line for S60 says open for innovation - so far my experience is that its anything BUT open for innovation.
    There is a concept of capability and hence the existence of platform security, starting from S60 3rd edition(Symbian OS v.9.x). Then the fundamental question is: which are the capabilities your application is using? If those capabilities come under user-grantable set then you just need to sign your sis file with self-signed certificate. You should thank to Carbide.c++ as it signs your .Sis file with Self-signed certificate and hence you can install it on real device. The one generated from .pkg file is bare .SIS file which is not signed with any certificate and the one with .SISX extension is signed with default self-signed certificate, with respect to Carbide.c++ auto generation)

It is not mandatory to upload such .Sis file on Webservice(I guess you are talking about OpenSigned Online) all the times. It solely depends on the capabilities your application is using.

Let's assume that you are using extended set of capabilities which are not user-grantable, then you have two choices.
    1) OpenSigned Online (Which is free and bound to on one IMEI in one request)
    2) OpenSigned Offline( You have to have Publisher ID and then you can create certificate on your local PC, which will last for 3 years, and the IMEI limit is 1000)

So now what irritates you still?
    Nokia Developer Wiki Moderation team

Regular Contributor

Installing now for the third time
    (first I assumed it would work then couldn't find the app
    second I read something about a certificate
    third I was really ready for it, apparently the certificate may not yet be valid

in a moment I will try again having checked the phones time and date, hopefully, maybe, perhaps if the wind is in the right direction, the moon in the right quarter and my lucky star aligned properly with saturn or jupiter or whatever it might possibly download onto the phone, then I can prove it doesn't work, whoopee).

Super Contributor

Smile Re: Carbide produces useless sis files

All of your question is not clear to me. please explain bit more.

You can use your own certificate to sign your appliation in carbide. check following article for "how to do it".

http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...gn_Certificate

On SIS properties tab, select "Sign SIS file with certificate/key pair" and then select your certificate and keys.

Nokia Developer Champion

Installing now for the third time
    (first I assumed it would work then couldn't find the app
    second I read something about a certificate
    third I was really ready for it, apparently the certificate may not yet be valid

in a moment I will try again having checked the phones time and date, hopefully, maybe, perhaps if the wind is in the right direction, the moon in the right quarter and my lucky star aligned properly with saturn or jupiter or whatever it might possibly download onto the phone, then I can prove it doesn't work, whoopee).
    Wait wait. Have some patience and read my previous post. Read it thoroughly and reply me.

These will also help you later:

* http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...roubleshooting

* http://blogs.forum.nokia.com/index.p...7&articleId=93

Regular Contributor

Good guess!
    Got it to download. Brilliant, well almost.
    Now when I run it (after the signing process, and the download hassle) I get 'Unable to execture for security reasons -46.
    I guess some more googling to find out what thats about.
    This application is doing squat thats exciting yet. I had hoped I'd be able to see the camera image, but thats all!

Nokia Developer Champion

I get 'Unable to execture for security reasons -46.
    This is because you do not have capability(of course your application) to use some services on the phone. It is scientifically known as KErrPermissionDenied . Search for that instead for more good google hits.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by kiran10182 View Post
    Wait wait. Have some patience and read my previous post. Read it thoroughly and reply me.

These will also help you later:

* http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...roubleshooting

* http://blogs.forum.nokia.com/index.p...7&articleId=93
    Many thanks, I have tried
    a) the middle 'self sign' button, the phone flashes (yep, the programmer at Symbian didn't think you'd want to read the message) "Certificate error", no more information during installation.
    b) generating a certificate and key (using the command line instructions) and building with the bottom selection (sign with cert pair). This gives exactly the same response.

So now my open to innovation phone won't allow me to debug or deploy.

Nokia Developer Champion

Many thanks, I have tried
    a) the middle 'self sign' button, the phone flashes (yep, the programmer at Symbian didn't think you'd want to read the message) "Certificate error", no more information during installation.
    b) generating a certificate and key (using the command line instructions) and building with the bottom selection (sign with cert pair). This gives exactly the same response.

So now my open to innovation phone won't allow me to debug or deploy.
    Note that you need to install the signed version of .Sis and i.e .Sisx from Carbide.c++(by default). So delete your previous .sis and .sisx files, just to make sure that they are really being created again.

Also check the date-time of your phone and PC. They should be in Sync.

And at last but not the least, you haven't replied to my question which I asked you in the first post. Again, which are the capabilities your application is using?

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by kiran10182 View Post
    Note that you need to install the signed version of .Sis and i.e .Sisx from Carbide.c++(by default). So delete your previous .sis and .sisx files, just to make sure that they are really being created again.

Also check the date-time of your phone and PC. They should be in Sync.

And at last but not the least, you haven't replied to my question which I asked you in the first post. Again, which are the capabilities your application is using?
    Capability scan is coming up with one - 'Dependent' for a call to RFile::Replace, as its not important for now I will just delete that call

Time and date in sync (had to do this because I did have an error complaining the cert was not yet valid).

Have checked the time and date of the sis and sisx files I'm producing, cleaned them, deleted them, tried 'clean' as well just in case.

Nokia Developer Champion

So finally what is the error? You can check this: http://blogs.forum.nokia.com/index.p...7&articleId=93

Create one simple HelloWorld type of S60->GUI Application from Carbide.c++ and build it for Phone Release(GCCE). Install the resultant self-signed .Sisx file. Does it create the same problem?