Discussion Board

Flash lite content error: 9

I developed a media gallery application based on flash lite 2.0 in which the initial screen displays a given set of images in list format. The image sizes which i am using are around 5 to 10 kb. When i open this application on a Nokia N76 device which is based on flash lite 2.0, i get the following error: Flash lite content error: 9
    Instead of the above images, if i use a smaller size images(below 1 KB), it doesnt give the error and displays it.
    Whats the reason for this error and how to resolve it.

Nokia Developer Champion

Smile Re: Flash lite content error: 9

Quote Originally Posted by anoop_achuthan View Post
    I developed a media gallery application based on flash lite 2.0 in which the initial screen displays a given set of images in list format. The image sizes which i am using are around 5 to 10 kb. When i open this application on a Nokia N76 device which is based on flash lite 2.0, i get the following error: Flash lite content error: 9
    Instead of the above images, if i use a smaller size images(below 1 KB), it doesnt give the error and displays it.
    Whats the reason for this error and how to resolve it.
    Most Probably , because of THE HEAP SIZE IN FLASH LITE. The heap size offered by flash lite is 2 mb MAX . Therefore, no matter how much space u have free in RAM , u can use 2mb max. U may name it a drawback. To resolve it u have to optimize ur flash application by decreasing the quality of ur images and using jpeg images without sub sampling as much as possible instead of bmp .Moreover, search on google with "optimize image" keyword and u find many useful articles there. . Hope it helps..

Best Regards,
    SajiSoft

Re: Flash lite content error: 9

May be loading a single image, displaying it and then reloading the next image can be a solution just in case you have done Batch-Loading in your code. This method ensures that memory consumed is low.
    Twitter - manikantan_k
    Just in --

Regular Contributor

Hello guys,

I would like to bring this thread back to ask if is there any way to catch the error then show to final user a message such as, "Please, reduce the quality and/or resolution of the images".

I forgot to ask when it is package into the sis file, changing the heap memory at the mmp file, is changing only the heap memory of C++ app, not the embedded flash player, right?

BR,
    Last edited by atilacorreiacunha; 2010-09-30 at 02:12. Reason: Aditional question
    Atila Correia
    SCJP, SCWCD, SCJA and MCP C#
    Game Developer and 3D Modeller
    www.atilacorreia.com
    www.linkedin.com/in/atilacorreia

Nokia Developer Champion

Hi Atila ,
    I would like to bring this thread back to ask if is there any way to catch the error then show to final user a message such as, "Please, reduce the quality and/or resolution of the images".
    Using flash lite AS ,it is not possible to catch the ugly errors i.e "Unable to load Movie" etc. But if we specifically talk about Out Of Memory error, then an idea just hit me up right now. There are two APIs :
    fscommand2("GetFreePlayerMemory") //returns the amount of heap memory, in kilobytes, currently available to Flash Lite
    fscommand2("GetTotalPlayerMemory") //returns the total amount of heap memory, in kilobytes, allocated to Flash Lite.
    but the question is how one can detect the size of image before loading it? .Well! using the Media Management API in Platform services one can detect the size of image and make a guess that how much memory it will consume after getting loaded. In that way, the error can be trapped before calling loadMovie API.
    I forgot to ask when it is package into the sis file, changing the heap memory at the mmp file, is changing only the heap memory of C++ app, not the embedded flash player, right?
    If u r talking about Symbian C++ stub then u can actually change the heap size for embedded flash lite player (not by editing .mmp only but by changing iReserved2 variable). Read here :
    Flash Lite 3 Symbian C++

Best Regards,
    SajiSoft

This happens for me also.
    Works fine with image quality of 100% and sfw of 1,5 mb on the xm 5800 (fl v. 2)
    That also works with N96

But when I pack it wiht c++ to .sisx and install, stub the N96 does not work anymore. This seems quite stupid (probably the stupid part is me)

EDIT:
    Thank you again Saji! Changed the heap size to 4mb and now works with N96
    One line was not same in the example, so it left open which one is right?
    Original:
    config.iContentChecksum = 0;
    New:
    config.iContentChecksum = KContentChecksum;

Cannot understand what's the difference..
    Last edited by juhauta; 2010-10-07 at 19:30. Reason: more wise now

Nokia Developer Champion

Hi Jahauta,
    Original:
    config.iContentChecksum = 0;
    New:
    config.iContentChecksum = KContentChecksum;
    If you look in the documentation :
    Checksum of the flash content file for verification. If set to 0 then checksum will not be verified. CRC algorithm is used to verify checksum.
    Source : Flash Viewer Framework
    Which means that if u set it to 0 then there is no checksum verification and if u set it equal to the checksum of ur flash content then it get verified that whether the flash lite content this stub is going to launch has same checksum as provided. I use to set it to zero.

Best Regards,
    SajiSoft