Discussion Board

Replying to an SMS

Hey!

I'm on a project that have to do the following thing:
    • when user gets an SMS, the app should display the text
    • user can apply it (SMS read), or cancel it (message disappear, but remaining unread)
    • or user can reply to the message: simpliest way, selecting reply will send a predefined message back to the sender (later maybe trying to make it possible for the user to write an own reply)

Can someone please help me with this? I've already read and tried out the tutorials in connection with sending and reading SMS what can be found here on the Wiki, but now I'm lost with the replying / displaying.

Thanks in advance!

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Replying to an SMS

Which part is the problematic one?
    1. if your code is running, and you have an open CMsvSession, you get notifications about incoming SMS-s via HandleSessionEventL, check any SMS-related example
    2. TMsvEntry::SetUnread and SetNew are the methods for that
    3. in the case of SMS, sending a reply does not really differ from sending a brand new SMS, so simply do the latter one. CSmsPDU::ToFromAddress contains the real address of the sender (TMsvEntry::iDetails contains a name, if the number is present in the phonebook).

OK! It's clearer now.
    And is there a method for displaying the incoming message instantly? And when it displayed, how can I display my own menu (OK, Later, Reply)?

Hey!

Figured out the answers to my questions since, but there are new ones.

I want to parse incoming and outgoing SMS. Data to be parsed are customer name, ID, product name, product ID and price. Yeah, some kind of bidding application what is using SMS to transfer offers.

(Briefly: customer sends a message with data like this: Customer John ABC123 CARDREADER -> customer name, ID, product name, and the server replies like this: Current price: 20€. Then customer can reply to this message with Hold or Fold.)

The problem is that I'm a bit lost in the structure, and don't now where to write the parsing methods. And the first step is not clear too: how to enable customers to write the message in the correct form? I guess I have to create some fields, where user can type in data, and then save it and send a message with them. And I can't see how to do this.

I know I ask so much, but I'm really a beginner in Symbian now. That's why I'm asking for help so often.

Thanks for any kind of help!

Nokia Developer Moderator

That kind of thing is called a 'form'. Head towards Docs/Documentation above, then Symbian C++, UI, and check the "S60 Platform: Avkon UI Resources x.y". It also describes forms. And the name of the class is CAknForm, I think you should find something in the Wiki and the DiBo too.