Discussion Board

Thread: MIPS/W

MIPS/W

Hi everyone,

I wonder if you guys are able to give me some insight into this matter. I would like to know whether if Nokia are allowed to release information regarding the Million Instruction per Second per Watt (MIPS/W) unit regarding its processing speed on its cell phones? I think this may be confidential, so I would like to find out if this is the case. I am in the academic profession and developing applications for mobile devices and it would be good to know how intensive the application places on the CPU of these devices.

Should the information be confidential, I will understand, but is it possible to give or release some rough estimate? I just need some reference.

Thanks for your time,
    V

Regular Contributor

RE: MIPS/W

Hello V,

I haven't seen such a figure quoted internally or externally. The only performance tests I've seen so far are run by third-party. According to them Nokia Java phones seem to have some of the fastest processors in the industry. The Series 60 phones (Nokia 7650, Nokia 3650, Nokia N-Gage) are the fastest of our phones, then come Series 40 phone (Nokia 5100, Nokia 6100, Nokia 6200,...).

Regards,

Petteri