Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Questions regarding publishing / packaging

My WRT Widget is finished as for functionality, and now Im to package and then publish the widget on ovi (last date for submission was 20th of april, if Im not misstaken).

Im using Aptana Studio with the Nokia WRT plugin for development.

1) Is all I have to do is package the project into a .wgz-file, and then distribute that file?

2) Do I need to make an individual .wgz-file for each nokia-phone I want to be able to use the widget, or does it work on any device that supports the S60 5th edition sdk?

3) Do I need to make an individual .wzg-file for both the S60 5th ed, and the S60 3d ed? Seem they are both very common...And if so, can I even have both sdk's installed on one and the same computer without any conflicts?

4) I have a nokia n95 8gb that Im trying to open the .wzg-file on after upploading it to the phone. But it never works, it just says "Damaged [filename].wzg". Apparently the phone is based on S60 3rd ed feature pack 1. Is this the problem? And if so, shouldnt the phone instead propose you to update your firmware instead of telling you your app is damaged?
    Last edited by Danneman; 2009-04-17 at 13:22.

Super Contributor

Re: Questions regarding publishing / packaging

Earlier firmware versions for the N95 8GB did not support WRT at all. Which firmware version is on your phone ( *#0000# )? Update via http://www.nokia.com/softwareupdate

Regular Contributor

Ok, thanks, so I cant even make a wrt widget for s60 3d ed since they did not exist then. That takes care of question 3, and probably question 4 (have firmware V10.0.021).

But what about questions 1 and 2?

Super Contributor

1) Pretty much so.

2) Depends on what your widget does and how. And as mentioned, it is not just S60 5th Ed. devices (of which there's only one model on the market at the moment, the 5800 XpressMusic) with WRT support.