Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Angry [moved] Carbunkle build project

Why is it that when I edit a C++ file in carbunkle 2.0 I go to build it to find the 'build project' option is greyed out, if I swap windows back and forth its back to ok? What is this about? If you are going to mess around wasting my computers processor swaping menu items from black to grey then at least have the decency to do it sensibly and not waste my time and effort swapping windows just so I can build my application.
    The dev environment is there for me to build applications - make it simple!!!!

Super Contributor

Re: Carbunkle build project

carbunkle 2.0 I donot know any tool on this name can you explain. Are you talking about Carbide.c++

Nokia Developer Moderator

It cannot be Carbide.c++, that tool has a dedicated forum and dhitchman would of course know to use it. Must be something else ...
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

You can laugh all you like, it doesn't alter the fact that I (reasonably I think) expect a development environment to be able to build my code, and this one doesn't unless I continually swap windows to persuade it to waste yet more of my processors capability greying and ungreying the build menu option.
    Further, it also doesn't on target (e71) debug, to make matters worse I tried going back to 1.3 in order to get it to do that, and now neither 1.3 or 2.0 can even start the emulator properly. So time to start uninstalling some of this. Seriously, is it any wonder that there are less applications for the most popular 'smart' phone than for its competitors? Is it any wonder the BBC recently said that the iPhone was the first phone you could write applications for????

Quote Originally Posted by davehitchman View Post
    You can laugh all you like, it doesn't alter the fact that I (reasonably I think) expect a development environment to be able to build my code, and this one doesn't unless I continually swap windows to persuade it to waste yet more of my processors capability greying and ungreying the build menu option.
    Further, it also doesn't on target (e71) debug, to make matters worse I tried going back to 1.3 in order to get it to do that, and now neither 1.3 or 2.0 can even start the emulator properly. So time to start uninstalling some of this. Seriously, is it any wonder that there are less applications for the most popular 'smart' phone than for its competitors? Is it any wonder the BBC recently said that the iPhone was the first phone you could write applications for????
    Ok, so its Carbide. Can you elaborate on what your problems specifically? what errors?

Could your emulator properties issue that you mention be due to the JRE installation. IF you search you might find what you are looking for.

Besides that, I think the tools available now are reasonably improved and satisfactory to concentrate on development issues as compared to a few months/years back. Any suggestions to improve might be welcome, but you would probably get deserved attention if you are more specific.

Good Luck!

I thought the dhitchman's problem description was clear enough, and I am still experiencing the same problem:

In Carbide.c++, the "Project" -> "Build Project" option is often greyed out even though the project does require building. In these cases, if I press F11 for startung debugging, Carbide.c++ does start a build, and launches the emulator if the build is successful -- so why will it not give me the option of doing a build without launching the emulator?

I have not tried dhitchman's trick of moving between windows, but one should one have to do to get the greyed-out "Project" -> "Build Project" option to work, if some of the source files are newer than the generated files.

Added on edit: I'm using Carbide.c++ Version 2.6.0, and have imported a Symbian project from a bld.inf file that defines multiple MMP files.
    Last edited by leisti; 2010-11-16 at 09:47.

Quote Originally Posted by leisti View Post
    I have not tried dhitchman's trick of moving between windows, but one should one have to do to get the greyed-out "Project" -> "Build Project" option to work, if some of the source files are newer than the generated files.
    You should have tried that. The active window is which matters. You can launch a build from the project tree and the source editors for example. And you can not launch a build from the console, the problems view or device connections, yet again, for example. Actually it also happens when you develop anything else with Eclipse, so it is not a Carbide-specific issue.