Discussion Board

Question Choosing a language tool

Hello, this is my first post here, I'm an electronic man and a C and MFC(visual c++) programmer that have ~6 years experience in designing embedded systems and computer programming. Till now I only programmed MCUs with C and I'm familiar with ARM7 MCUs, now I want to enter object oriented programming for embedded systems but before choosing a language I would like to hear comments of experienced developers.

I want to be able to write GUIs(Graphical User Interface) for embedded systems, especially ARM based devices. I had a preliminary research and I came to this conclusion that I have to choose between Java, Qt and C#. Which one is more appropriate for ARM based embedded systems?

Thanks a lot,

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Choosing a language tool

I'd say it depends on on whose ARM based embedded systems you're targeting, exactly, and what tools/SDKs they provide/support.

Hello petrib, Thanks for the reply,
    Well actually I would primary target my own embedded devices that are lab instruments. As I said till now I programmed them with plain C and without any graphics but now I need graphics and I prefer free SDKs.

Cheers,
    Saman

Nokia Developer Moderator

We're talking around here about programming Nokia devices and yes, all powerful free SDKs are provided for such work. If other devices interest you it could be that this forum/site is not the one you need.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Hello, I understand it is a nokia forum.
    As I said my primary purpose is to program my ARM based devices but embedded programming is a very vast area and I doubt many professional people learns an embedded development tool just to be able to program a particular brand of device. Me too also want to be able to write programs for other targets and maybe nokia(some nokia embedded devices are also ARM based) but as I emphasize my primary interest is to program my own ARM based devices. I really hope in this forum there are professional developers who can answer this question from technical point of view and not just by judging if original poster targets the same brand that they mainly target.

cheers