Discussion Board

Thread: user prompt

user prompt

Is there a way to use an access point without user intervention? I.e. I know what accesspoint (in my case a wlan) I want to use - could I specify this when I start my network services and skip the "select access point" prompt?

L

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: user prompt

Try the Wiki. Combine the words IAP, access, WLAN, AP, perhaps user or automatic too to form search queries and you will succeed.

Nokia Developer Expert

you need to use the following api
    Access Point Settings Handler API
    Connection Settings API.

Nokia Developer Expert

you might be need Connection Monitor Server API to monitor connection

I did check WIKI but what I found I either don't quite understand or doesn't really apply. I don't want to create a new IAP, I want to use one the phone already knows about.

I was hoping for something like

Code:
        TCommDbConnPref prefs;
        prefs.SetDialogPreference(ECommDbDialogPrefDoNotPrompt);
        prefs.SetIapId("NAME OF AP");
        connection.Start(prefs);
    The only thing you can do tho is setIapID with an ID, and how to get the ID when I only know the name of the AP is unclear. (in this case I don't mind hardcoding the name in my app, or alternatively, use the first available WLAN AP it knows about)

CApSelect can help you in iterating through IAP-s, and finding one by name. Then you will also have an ID, however the funny thing is that you probably have to convert it to an other one, using CApUtils::IapIdFromWapIdL.

That worked - thx w_h. It all works nicely - albeit only in the emulator!! Because apparently APSelect calls need ReadDeviceData and WriteDeviceData permissions, I now need my app to be officially signed. Wat a load of tosh. Is there a way around this? (i did some searching on this forum without any results)

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by lieuwe View Post
    ...need ReadDeviceData and WriteDeviceData permissions, I now need my app to be officially signed. Wat a load of tosh. Is there a way around this? (i did some searching on this forum without any results)
    Those capabilities are extended ones and cannot be used in Self-signed certificate. Hence you need to use developer certificate to sign your .sis file. You can use OpenSigned Online option which is freely available but restricted to one IMEI per request. Check this: OpenSigned Online
    Nokia Developer Wiki Moderation team

Thx for the link, but I'll pass. For now I will take the code out of the app again. I am just doing a proof of concept anyway and I don't have the time nor interest to familiarise myself with this signing stuff.

I have to say I don't like the idea of me having to ask someone else for permission to run a program I wrote on my own phone. Maybe I'll look at other options like perhaps J2ME.

L

A thing you can surely do without extra capabilities is launching the dialog one time, and have the user to select an access point. Then you can get the id via RConnection::GetIntSetting + _L("IAP\\Id"), and store it for future use.