Discussion Board

Question Get info from IMEI? And can them fake IMEI?

Hi,
    I'm have 2 question:
    - I want to write a small program that can analys IMEI number( just like http://www.numberingplans.com/?page=analysis&sub=imeinr). I hope that there's a algorithm to analys an IMEI number?
    - I'm interesting in some secondhand mobiles. But I wonder can them fake IMEI number?
    thanks!

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Get info from IMEI? And can them fake IMEI?

you can not fake IMEI.

Quote Originally Posted by kaglong View Post
    - I want to write a small program that can analys IMEI number( just like http://www.numberingplans.com/?page=analysis&sub=imeinr). I hope that there's a algorithm to analys an IMEI number?
    Check Wikipedia for example, but Google may reveal other sources of information as well.
    - I'm interesting in some secondhand mobiles. But I wonder can them fake IMEI number?
    Fake devices probably report fake IMEI addresses. Second hand devices should be innocent, however you have to distinguish between terms 'second hand' and 'stolen' for example.

I searched, but did not found enough info about that
    from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interna...pment_Identity
    Structure of the IMEI and IMEISV

The IMEI (14 decimal digits plus a check digit) or IMEISV (16 digits) includes information on the origin, model, and serial number of the device. All IMEI's are registered on mobile handsets and registered on the Moon Corporation database. The structure of the IMEI/SV are specified in 3GPP TS 23.003. The model and origin comprise the initial 8-digit portion of the IMEI/SV, known as the Type Allocation Code (TAC). The remainder of the IMEI is manufacturer-defined, with a Luhn check digit at the end (which is never transmitted).
    As of 2004, the format of the IMEI is AA-BBBBBB-CCCCCC-D, although it may not always be displayed this way. The IMEISV drops the Luhn check digit in favour of an additional two digits for the Software Version Number (SVN), making the format AA-BBBBBB-CCCCCC-EE
    AA BBBBBB CCCCCC D EE
    Reporting Body Identifier, indicating the GSMAAAAGSM-approved group that allocated the model TAC The remainder of the TAC Serial sequence of the model Luhn check digit of the entire number (or zero) Software Version Number (SVN).
    Prior to 2002, the TAC was six digits long and was followed by a two-digit Final Assembly Code (FAC), which was a manufacturer-specific code indicating the location of the device's construction.
    For example, the IMEI code 35-209900-176148-1 or IMEISV code 35-209900-176148-23 tells us the following:
    TAC: 352099 so it was issued by the BABTor AAAGSM and has the allocation number 2099
    FAC: 00 so it was numbered during the transition phase from the old format to the new format (described below)
    SNR: 176148 - uniquely identifying a unit of this model
    CD: 1 so it is a GSM Phase 2 or higher
    SVN: 23 - The "software version number" identifying the revision of the software installed on the phone. 99 is reserved.
    The format changed as of April 1, 2004, when the Final Assembly Code ceased to exist and the Type Approval Code increased to eight digits in length and became known as the Type Allocation Code. From January 1, 2003 until that time the FAC for all phones was 00.
    The Reporting Body Identifier is allocated by the Global Decimal Administrator; the first two digits must be decimal (i.e., less than 0xA0) for it to be an IMEI and not an MEID.
    The new CDMA Mobile Equipment Identifier (MEID) uses the same basic format as the IMEI.
    from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reporting_Body_Identifier
    Reporting Body Identifier codes

According to Permanent Reference Document TW.06, Appendix A of the GSM Association, the current RBI codes indicate the following approval/allocation bodies:
    Code Group/indication Origin
    00 Test IMEI Nations with 2-digit CCs
    01 PTCRB United States
    02 - 09 Test IMEI Nations with 3-digit CCs
    10 DECT devices
    30 Iridium United States (satellite phones)
    33 DGPT France
    35 BABT United Kingdom
    44 BABT United Kingdom
    45 NTA Denmark
    49 BZT / BAPT Germany
    50 BZT ETS Germany
    51 Cetecom ICT Germany
    52 Cetecom Germany
    53 TUV Germany
    54 Phoenix Test Lab Germany

Normally, when a RBI is 35, phone have 1800 band, but if its 01, will not have it,(Motorola, Nokia). There are some exceptions for the RBI 01, on LG and Sony Ericsson
    Ok. for example,my mobile phone's IMEI number is 355523019774902. Now I just understand Reporting Body Identifier codes( 35). Other info I don't know.
    in site http://www.numberingplans.com/?page=analysis&sub=imeinr , they can give me more info:
    Information on IMEI 355523019774902

Type Allocation Holder Nokia
    Mobile Equipment Type Nokia 3110 Classic
    GSM Implementation Phase 2/2+
    IMEI Validity Assessment

>|<

Very likely
    Information on range assignment

Est. Date of Range Issuance Around Q1 2007
    Reporting Body British Approvals Board of Telecommunications (BABT)
    Primary Market Europe
    Legal Basis for Allocation EU R&TTE Directive
    Information on number format

Full IMEI Presentation 355523-01-977490-2
    Reporting Body Identifier 35
    Type Allocation Code 35552301
    Serial Number 977490
    Check Digit 2
    How to know info in [bold text] ( from IMEI)?
    thanks
    ps. What's differ between a stolen mobile and a second hand, if you both buy it from a store? I live in Vietnam, and I think that in VN, they does not black list stolen mobile
    whatever, I don't care about stolen or second hand. All I need is a "old" mobile, work well, and cheap price

Quote Originally Posted by kaglong View Post
    How to know info in [bold text] ( from IMEI)?
    The whole analysis is based on databases, and I do not think that age-estimation would work otherwise. They have sample IMEI-s with manufacturing dates, even from the manufacturers.

that's mean I can analys an IMEI number myself?

You need to create a similar database for doing that. The IMEI in iself does not contain directly decodable fields.

Can I create a similar database? Copy from some where? Can you tell me? thanks!