Discussion Board

Card Emulation - Nokia 6131 NFC

I am currenly working on implementing scenario wherein cards(=applets) should be downlaoded OTA (credit card/loyalty card/ coupon cards/ debit card). These should be read by card reader POS terminal for making payments. User will have to select one of these cards while making payments.
    Note: User can have multiple credit cards on his SE from different issuers.

Below are my questions:
    1) For multiple credit cards from different card issuers, they will have different personalization information like card number, card issuer name, expiry name etc. Does this mean I have to write and install one applet (per card). Can this scenario be realized using just one applet (all cards in one applet), and if possible how?

2) Every applet has a unique AID. If I have different applets installed on SE, how my card reader will know which applet to talk with. Is the AID hardcoded at card reader's end?

3) Since user can have multiple credit card installed, I am thinking of launching midlet that will provide user with all card options. Now, if user selects one card(= one applet), How can I comunicate the AID of this applet to card reader, so that card reader can use that AID to connect using ISO7816 APDUs.

Please help me by providing your valuable suggestions.

Thumbs up Re: Card Emulation - Nokia 6131 NFC

Hi Shashi,
    I have a similar sort of situation where I am required to deal with multiple credit cards on an NFC phone. Did you get a reply on this from anyone. Have you been able to implement this? Any help around this topic will be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ravi

Re: Card Emulation - Nokia 6131 NFC

hi sharmashashi17

Quote Originally Posted by sharmashashi17 View Post

Below are my questions:
    1) For multiple credit cards from different card issuers, they will have different personalization information like card number, card issuer name, expiry name etc. Does this mean I have to write and install one applet (per card). Can this scenario be realized using just one applet (all cards in one applet), and if possible how?
    If your cards come from different issuers you should have as many applets as you have issuers.

2) Every applet has a unique AID. If I have different applets installed on SE, how my card reader will know which applet to talk with. Is the AID hardcoded at card reader's end?
    Your (payment) applets should be exposed through another applet that acts as a register. This applet is selected by the POS and gives it information about the present applications. This applet is called PPSE (Proximity Payment Environment System) cf. EMV specifications

3) Since user can have multiple credit card installed, I am thinking of launching midlet that will provide user with all card options. Now, if user selects one card(= one applet), How can I comunicate the AID of this applet to card reader, so that card reader can use that AID to connect using ISO7816 APDUs.
    You should have two kinds of MIDlet : a wallet MIDlet that registers and shows all the Banking MIDlets. A Banking MIDlet is associated to a payment application (an applet) in the Secure Element. In card emulation mode all applets are available when the phone is in the field, so you should find a way to expose only the application you want to. Or wait until GlobalPlatform Amendment C is released. It contains new mechanisms for this kind of situation.