Discussion Board

Unhappy Battery/Signal Sizing Issue In Theme

Hey forum members,

I'm having trouble trying to find the solution to the problem I'm having. A co-worker of mine created some S60 themes and I've been asked to correct an issue for her. It's about the signal and battery. When she inserted custom images for the signal and battery, they look fine in the tool, but on an actual device, they show up "floating", that is, instead of utilizing the entire space it's supposed to, it only takes up the top half, meaning that when the battery or signal get to about halfway, it looks like there is just an empty space with no signal or battery image. I'm not sure what she did when creating the themes, but I've even re-created them with all my own artwork and got few to fix, but there are two that are having the same issue, even after rebuilding the theme twice. I'm not sure what she did, but I think she was using the same edition I am.

Some info:
    -I use Carbide.ui Theme Edition 3.4
    -The theme is created in S60 3rd FP2 240x320
    -The device I test on is the Nokia N75, not one, but two of them.
    -The artwork for the signal and battery are both SVGs, and are the correct size.
    -I've tried several ways to import and make the SVGs...

If anyone knows a solution to this, I would be grateful, seriously. I've spent over a week trying to figure this thing out.

Re: Battery/Signal Sizing Issue In Theme

Hello, have you tried the theme on a completely different device to try to isolate whether it's possibly a device specific problem? If you don't have a spare FP2 device you can try to install the theme via the Forum Nokia Remote Device Access service.
    Also wondering, are your assets SVG or bitmap? If svg, what tool did you use to create them?
    Steph

Hey steph,

It can't be a device specific problem because I've loaded multiple other themes on the same 2 devices and the signal/battery images work perfectly fine. And as I stated in my info, the images are both SVG and were built in Illustrator via the "Save for Web or Device," so as not to have any issues as stated in the release notes of Carbide.ui 3.4.

Hello,
    That is really strange. The only thing I can think of is that somehow, there is a mismatch between the illustrator artboard dimensions you are exporting from and the dimensions Carbide thinks it's getting. I have seen 'Save for Web' export svg of the correct dimensions before but create an artboard of a completely different size--especially if the 'save for the web' is exporting Illustrator web slices.

The only thing that seems to be foolproof is to create a separate .ai file with the exact dimensions of the (single) element you are trying to export, paste that element in, then try your 'save for the web' from this new file. This typically forces the artboard dimensions to export properly.

Other than that i'm stumped...

Stephanie

Hey Stephanie,

Well, the image itself is only one element, but I did try to create a new, fresh document with the artboard size needed, and then saved for web, and it still didn't work. I've tried so many ways, lol. I've been stumped for awhile. I mean, even keeping the default signals and changing their colors work, so why wouldn't an image. I've even done the "edit image in vector editor" and saved it through carbide, and it still doesn't work. Oh well....thanks for your input.

So keeping the default symbols and simply recoloring them works but pasting the new one in does not? That really makes no sense (but then again...this is Carbide UI we're talking about.)

Let us know if you solve it!
    Stephanie

It finally worked!!! All I did was "open image in vector editor" and edit it through there and tried to keep the amount of points in the image down by merging some parts of the image, and it strangely worked. I've tried doing that a million times before, but maybe on the fresh Monday morning the Nokia gods were shining down upon me, lol. Yes, Carbide is a pain. I don't even know the real solution to why it finally worked.

That's great news! Glad it worked out...

Stephanie