Discussion Board

Smile Can I let PAMP track info from my phone db, like messages? and save them?

Hello guys
    I know the topic is not clear, but here is a description.

I'm a person who receives and sends sms like 100 a day!
    most of them are important to me, and every month I have to backup a file of my sms (Because it doesn't take more than 3000 msgs at MAX), and I keep it for me I don't like to delete them.

So, I though it would be great if I can write a php script and link it to MySQL in my PAMP, and let it keep track of new messages, then save them in the MySQL db I created before, containing fields like id, from, name, time, msg, type 1 (inbox), 2 (draft), 3 (folders), 4 (sent) ... etc!

Is there any chance to make this idea works! and if yes, can it be with out writing another application involved ?

Thank you

Re: Can I let PAMP track info from my phone db, like messages? and save them?

Any help !!? or ideas ?

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Can I let PAMP track info from my phone db, like messages? and save them?

Quote Originally Posted by samoi View Post
    So, I though it would be great if I can write a php script and link it to MySQL in my PAMP, and let it keep track of new messages, then save them in the MySQL db I created before, containing fields like id, from, name, time, msg, type 1 (inbox), 2 (draft), 3 (folders), 4 (sent) ... etc!
    I think that's a great idea, but having PAMP save messages to a MySQL db is probably not the best approach. PAMP can't (at least shouldn't) do anything autonomously, but only react to arriving requests.

So, you should have a separate, continuously running, program that copies messages to the MySQL db as they occur. Then via PAMP you can arrange for that data to be easily fetchable.

Is there any chance to make this idea works!
    Sure, I don't think there are any showstoppers at all.
    and if yes, can it be with out writing another application involved?
    I don't remember whether the PHP API is rich enough to allow you to fetch all messages from the native databases in order to copy the data to a MySQL database. But even if it were, it would lead to problems as either the data would be copied over only as part of a request to get it, or then you would have to arrange for some entity to make a request that would cause the handler to do the copying.

It's much clearer if you separate the copying operation into a separate program and then use PAMP for accessing the data from outside the device.

Br,
    Johan