Discussion Board

OVI publishing - Java Verified certificaiton a requirement for J2ME or not?

It is impressive to - once again - see Nokia wanting to do everything, and not succeeding at anything. Yes, I'm a little bitter, but again we have been struggling to get through to anyone at Nokia who can give us straight answers about anything. It was/is the case for N-gage, and now seems the case for OVI. So, I'll give it a shot here:

I have a simple question, as the documentation is weak enough on this point to obviously confuse a lot of people (this forum is as witness of that). Is Java Verified certification, done by an authorized Java Verified testing partner, a requirement for OVI publishing .. Or is it not?

We have contacted publishtoovi.support@nokia.com numerous times, and, surprise, never recieved any sort of response.

Thanks,

Thomas Nielsen
    CEO
    Progressive Media

Re: OVI publishing - Java Verified certificaiton a requirement for J2ME or not?

I have the same question but I have noticed an update in the publishing guide (I think), but it´s still unclear.

''Java application submissions must be pre-tested and fulfill Java Verified testing requirements. Visit
    http://www.javaverified.com/ for more information on the Java Verified service. Verisign and Thawte are
    also accepted for signing the Java application.''

I want to know if anybody have managed to publish a Verisign signed midlet?

/Tomas

Tomas,

I have searched on this, and all i could find is this one:

http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...d.php?t=164937

Aparently this guy has submitted a (non-JV) certified application, and has seen it bounce. So it looks like a no-go to me.

But again - Nokia, what is the idea of going out broadly to all developers, calling for content, and then not documenting the process, or providing any sort of support.
    From my perspective, the only thing we can do is to JV one build, try to pass that through Nokia approval, and then pass the other binaries. If we think it would be worth it, that it. It's not looking good so far.

/Thomas

This is just speculations, but if you look at the dates. The "new" publishing guide added Verisign as an option the 21 of april, and if he tries to re-submit it might pass.

So if you have something ready with a verisign cert. give it a try and see what happens...

But, I totally agree regarding Nokias support on this.

/Tomas

/Tomas

Super Contributor

At the developer summit, Eric John (in his talk about Ovi) mentioned that they "support other Java certification", almost as a throw-away comment. Unfortunately, he didn't elaborate, and I didn't get the chance to quiz him about it. So, whether that's "certification" as in "testing/approval", or as in "signing", I don't know.

I'd also like to know what the requirements actually are before I go through the whole jumping-through-hoops of signing up. It seems like, even if I sign up as an Ovi publisher, I still won't find out.

I'm quite happy to go through JV... though I am a little annoyed if Java apps need testing and Symbian apps don't... it woud be nice to have an even playing-field. I'm working to JV anyway, to meet the requirements of other sales channels. I don't really want my certified products to get buried under a mass of untested software that doesn't necessarily meet the same standards. Requiring that products "must fulfill testing requirements" is a bit pointless if they don't actually have to be tested.

Graham.