Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

n97 disappointment!

http://www.forum.nokia.com/devices/N97

old CPU and low ram

now i wont buy the n97 4 sure! disappointment

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: n97 disappointment!

Out of curiosity, what kind of application were you planning to develop for N97 but would not work now doe to the limited hardware resources.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta View Post
    Out of curiosity, what kind of application were you planning to develop for N97 but would not work now doe to the limited hardware resources.
    this is not the issue!
    in the same amount of money or less, i can get the new SAMSUNG HD or other devices.
    thx but no thx NOKIA!

Please note that you are on a web site/forum dedicated for software development issues. So the question remains valid: what type of application would you develop on the Samsung HD device but will not run on N97?

( Give us a reason to ask for better hardware ... )
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

3d applications! the CPU wont run things that need a lot of memory and there is no 720P.
    no GPU even.

Question Re: n97 disappointment!

Ok Nokia, but PLEASE PLEASE I can understand that "software" (since it was launched 5800) can make good use of 434 MHz but with 128MB do not stay poor? What will happen when those fill 32GB of pictures, music and videos?

I really like Nokia but long ago I do not see a great phone, i say HARD & SOFT, this may look better in soft but hard maybe short

Please Nokia, change!

Don't confuse RAM with storage memory, the amount of music and apps stored on the drives (up to 48 GB!) has no impact on the RAM usage.
    -- Lucian

Don't confuse RAM with storage memory, the amount of music and apps stored on the drives (up to 48 GB!) has no impact on the RAM usage.

okay, you asked a guy witch app wont work on this phone.
    well it is a smartphone, it is not about one app, it is about many apps running at the same time.

if you run garminXT, gallery, music player, browser, an all the background service like call managers, blacklists, and so on. will it still work?

if it works same as in n95-8gb, it is fine with me (it has 75 Mb free ram after boot) but if we look at 5800 witc only has 40Mb of ram available after boot, you clearly can see where is the problem

we have waiting for this dream device for 5 months now, only to find out that wont actually work as it was intended.

i am seriously hoping that i am wrong about this.

How do you check the amount of available RAM after boot?

Once again I remind you that this is a forum for software developers and I expect that software developers know how Symbian OS handles memory allocation and how memory is dynamically being allocated and freed depending on the needs existent at any given time.

Developers should also take note of the new Out Of Memory Monitor API that is made available for this device and which will allow them more control over their application's memory allocation needs and over the few side effects of high memory consumption.

For the end users reading this forum I can only tell this: Nokia N97 is an excellent smartphone and I'm looking forward to get one once released. Now you have to decide whether to believe me, one having the phone on my desk, or some blogger getting overexcited after reading some specs
    -- Lucian

How do you check the amount of available RAM after boot?

Once again I remind you that this is a forum for software developers and I expect that software developers know how Symbian OS handles memory allocation and how memory is dynamically being allocated and freed depending on the needs existent at any given time.

Developers should also take note of the new Out Of Memory Monitor API that is made available for this device and which will allow them more control over their application's memory allocation needs and over the few side effects of high memory consumption.

For the end users reading this forum I can only tell this: Nokia N97 is an excellent smartphone and I'm looking forward to get one once released. Now you have to decide whether to believe me, one having the phone on my desk, or some blogger getting overexcited after reading some specs

i guess you are aware of 3rd party task managers?
    in every one you can see amount of free ram.

i know n97 is great device, i know about new api in new sdk 0.5, but we all expected something new under the hood (omap3 chipset), no oldskool 434 mhz proc. even new xpressmusic has 600 mhz processor.

nevertheles, i will allso be getting one as soon as it gets to shops near me :-)

Am I missing something or they really don't have GPU and hardware support for OpenGL|ES on N97?

Nokia Developer Champion

You are not missing anything. The N97 does not have 3D graphics hardware acceleration (no GPU, in other words). It still supports OpenGL ES, but only via software libraries (and with the higher resolution screen in the N97, there'll be three times as many pixels to move per frame, than on a QVGA display).

Well that's a pity. It would be nice if Nokia shipped more devices with GPU. That would build a larger customer base for 3D applications and games. By the way is there a place where I can get the list of all Nokia (or even better S60) devices with GPU?

Thumbs down Re: n97 disappointment!

Here with many apps opened

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FoC0...layer_embedded

Transition from Landscape(Qwerty) mode to portrait(candybar) takes the N97 an excruciating 3 seconds with no animation. By launch this better be instant or close to that! It needs to feel more fluid!

So?

Angry Re: n97 disappointment!

Quote Originally Posted by brkix View Post
    i guess you are aware of 3rd party task managers?
    in every one you can see amount of free ram.

i know n97 is great device, i know about new api in new sdk 0.5, but we all expected something new under the hood (omap3 chipset), no oldskool 434 mhz proc. even new xpressmusic has 600 mhz processor.

nevertheles, i will allso be getting one as soon as it gets to shops near me :-)
    I hope that in next firmware Nokia raise or overclock to 600 mhz the N97 even the E55 has a clock of 600 mhz and it has more speed than the N97. For Widgets (Nokia gives more importance see your hackthlon), Video, Applications and competitors (the most powerful Symbian phone of Samsung Omnia Hd is capable of video Hd but crappy sound only 8kz Amr or Eaac and Iphone 3g even the coming 4g too and Windows 6.5 - 7.0 smartphones) then ABSOLUTELY Nokia must raise or overclock the N97 for best user touching smartphone experience.
    Nokia i wish for Next touch NXX smartphone will have a powerful gpu, more free ram, and a lot of mhz speed (600 or more for speed touching experience and full screen videos even HD and standard media market Divx support like Samsung, Lg have already added). Add a new gpu-accellerated videoplayer and not only the old fashioned realplayer missing of Divx Xvid Mkv and more important subtitles (like symbian Smartmovie but it's not gpu accellerated).
    What about of freeing the gpu accelleration sources on symbian for very fast applications (a sort of Direct X)??
    Nokia doesn't remain on golden oldies like N95-1 - 8gb with graphics accelerators and loses the train of HD Smartphones..
    Make the decision in hurry Nokia!!
    Luke.
    Last edited by lukeskyd; 2009-05-02 at 10:40.