Discussion Board

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GPS vs A-GPS

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: GPS vs A-GPS

Take also in consideration the time factor. Since A-GPS is GPS + more software it is easy to see that a phone initially released with GPS support only, and documented/marketed as such, will later get the A-GPS feature in a firmware update. Obviously device specifications are not updated after each firmware update, even if the changes may be seen by some as significant.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Regular Contributor

Thanks all, that really make sense.

I think Nokia experts intentionally hide a-gps drawbacks in this thread. as far I understand A-gps
    1 won't work at all without gprs coverage
    2 or will work in area which is really close to the one where it had last a-gps gprs connection

Please anyone give clear answers

What makes you think that there is something to hide? There's nothing stoping you from reading the A-GPS and SUPL specs. Yes, A-GPS needs a data connection. But that's not a drawback, unless you also think that your need for breathing air is also a drawback.
    Last edited by ltomuta; 2010-01-11 at 09:51.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

The "A" is the assistance data.
    Standard GPS would download most of the data from GPS satellites, but it takes time (over 30s)and may fail if GPS signal is low. The good thing about it is that you do not pay extra.

If you enable (A)GPS then the assistance data will be downloaded over GPRS, which is quicker (less than 30s).
    If the GPS signal is strong it would reduce the time you have to wait for a position. If the GPS signal is weak it would increase the chance of calculating a position. The drawback is that you have to pay for the GPRS traffic.

Hi i hope someone can clear this up for me.... I currently have a nokia 6110 navigator. In the specs it says it has gps and a-gps. Now as i understand standalone gps can be used anywhere but can take a little while to pin point your location and a-gps uses network towers via gprs connection and gps to pin point your location faster and more accurately. Currently the plan i am on doesn't allow gprs connection so the fact my 6110 has both gps and a-gps doesn't pose a problem for me, it's just a little slow to start. Now my question relates to the fact that i want to buy a new phone and they all seem to only have a-gps and i want to know if it will still work without an active gprs connection? Note: Activating gprs with my service provider won't happen as the bill is paid by my work and they pay for calls only and won't allow for data!!

Yes. The phones are marketed with A-GPS because the feature is clearly better than the plain GPS when properly enabled by a data connection. However all Nokia phones allow you to disable the A-GPS positioning method or even the GPS if you do not want them to be used.

For further questions please use the end-user discussion forum hosted by Nokia at http://www.nokia.com/discussions
    -- Lucian

Smile Re: GPS vs A-GPS

Thanks for your help

Quote Originally Posted by mahbub_s60 View Post
    1. A-GPS is assisted GPS. Since integrated GPS does not know from where to start searching satellites. A-GPS gives some data to GPS module so that GPS module can use it as starting point. A-GPS data is taken from a server (depends on operator) over GPRS connection. So A-GPS data is very rough data (not precise as GPS) that will help to locate the satellites.
    Hi all,
    i'm new in developing GPS-apps, and i just found this post.

Regarding this statement above, do we know how long GPS searching satellites till then A-GPS works?

thanks in advance.

it is rather impossible to say, since it depends on many different variables. In general, if you haven't got any previous location anywhere near by where you are now, and you are using only GPS, it can tke several minutes to get the fix. Where as the network based gives it to you in second(s), and then the GPS has pretty good idea where it is and calculating the actual position takes rather short time.