Discussion Board

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Regular Contributor

Re: Unresolved breakpoints in UI classes

Hi,

Is there any update about this problem ? I just have the same issue now. I just switched to QT for tests.

I'm using carbide 2.3 with qt 4.6.2

it seems that I can only breakpoint in some files. (only in qt projects)

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by jonathan.derrough View Post
    Hi all,

I am having trouble with on device debug with Qt and GCCE.
    The application runs fine on the phone but every breakpoint I put in any other file than main.cpp is "unresolved". I noticed in the Executables View that only this cpp and its symbols appear.
    When I compile for WINSCW, the Executables View shows all the cpp files in the project and all the breakpoints are resolved.

Device debugging works for me but I do use RVCT for compiling :S

Few things that you can try is to load all projects in. That is in addition to your own application also import QtGui QtCore etc into the workspace. This doesn't always help and you need to manually add executables into the debuggin session. In the debug dialog there is executables tab where you need to locate and add the dlls one by one into the session. Other alternative to get those dlls loaded is to break at main() and step into the code of the dll you want to get loaded.

Quote Originally Posted by jonathan.derrough View Post
    So 2 questions for you experts :
    Is there a relation between the unresolved breakpoints and the "missing" symbols ? (I guess so, but maybe you know better than I do)
    Is there something missing / broken in my on device debug configuration ? Or is there a workaround / a way to force the symbols for debugging ?
    Depends on what missing symbols you are talking about? Yes if you are talking about missing debugging Symbols. Without debugging symbols you cannot break into the code. Qt release doesn't provide you with debugging Symbols for the device as the binaries have been built in release mode.

To force the symbols you need to build libraries/executables in debug mode to generate the symbols.
    cd myproject
    qmake
    make debug-armv6
    or
    make debug-gcce

-Janne

Super Contributor

Hi,
    I join in - I also have the issue. In the emulator, it all works fine - when I tether, it doesnt.

BTW: I have a laptop which also makes the error, and I do not need it. If you sent it back within a week and sign an NDA, I send you the laptop.
    The lines above are the best I have to offer.If anyone of you is of more advanced knowledge, I ask for your patience and understanding! - unknown arab poet
    http://www.tamoggemon.com - Symbian blog - Windows Phone blog
    My other blogs:
    webOS blog iPhone blog BlackBerry blog Samsung bada blog Android blog

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by tamhanna View Post
    Hi,
    I join in - I also have the issue. In the emulator, it all works fine - when I tether, it doesnt.
    You are trying to debug the same device that you are using for internet connection? How do you set it up? If you are using USB for both it just won't work as the USB mode is different. You could try few tricks. use network connection with bluetooth and debugging via USB and vice versa. Start the debugging session before connecting to network would work if my gut feeling is correct but that doesn't help you much.

As a sidenote anyone else using Synergy http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/ to share mouse/keyboard with multiple machines? I had to stop using it because you cannot debug with Carbide while using it. It bugs out if you have debugging session open and you move mousepointer to another window. Bug is that you cannot get back to the original window. Only workaround that I've found is to stop debugging session before changing windows.

Super Contributor

Hi,
    by tethering, I meant ODD.

My bad, sorry!
    The lines above are the best I have to offer.If anyone of you is of more advanced knowledge, I ask for your patience and understanding! - unknown arab poet
    My other blogs:

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by tamhanna View Post
    Hi,
    by tethering, I meant ODD.

Let's put some basics. Everyone who is saying that it doesn't work are you able to debug native Symbian applications on device? How about Open C applications? and how do the results compare to Qt?

As said before there are no symbols for Qt libraries so your breakpoints are limited to your own application code.

With Carbide you cannot set breakpoints while running the code as those won't get registered most of the time (bug). Before you start the session set all breakpoints you are interested in and then start the debugger.

Also make sure that you have your deployed binaries as debug!!! What did the pkg file put into the sis file? use dumpsis if uncertain.

If you have DLLs you work with you need to explicitly load them as explained in post before. There was some discussion about this buried in the forums, claim was that only the first loaded executable can be debugged. I say it is debug symbol loader failing to find dependencies.

I personally don't import projects as Qt project but use the bld.inf for importing.. maybe that is what is different?

If all above fails try Qt Creator instead.

Super Contributor

Hi,
    thank you so much for the detailed response. I am using Carbide, and can debug real Symbian c++ without issues., ALso, the main.cpp can be debugged - its just the other files which it cant handle.

Qt Creator: I have tried it, but it cannot do a multithreaded build...
    My other blogs:

Regular Contributor

Hmm.. that sounds like source lookup failure in Carbide :S I have successfully debugged whole Qt using GCCE and Carbide (with AppTRK) including the DLLs but I used GCCE 4.4.1 to build whole Qt when I did that.
    I'm Curious which version of Carbide you guys have? I remember that I had issues using 2.0x and I actually made a bug report out of it when I was unable to debug QtWebkit.dll with GCCE. It started working when I got 2.1.x. Currently using 2.4.0 that comes with Symbian Foundation PDT delivery.

Can you try importing the project as Symbian project (bld.inf instead of .pro) to see if that makes a difference?

Regular Contributor

Hi jakoskin.
    Which SDK do you use ?

I'm on crabide 2.3 (I just saw that there was a release of the 2.6, I'll perhaps check for the update) using the QT sdk 4.6.2 and Nokia S60 FP2 v1.1. So I'll try to import the bld.inf

Regular Contributor

I mainly use S60 5.0 SDK as my test device is Nokia 5800. I do have all 3.1,3.2,5.0,N97 and Symbian^3 installed.

Regular Contributor

After multiple test, I didn't get it to work properly. I'm always not able to set breakpoints in applications.
    Let's put some basics. Everyone who is saying that it doesn't work are you able to debug native Symbian applications on device? How about Open C applications? and how do the results compare to Qt?
    I'm completely able to debug native applications and application using open C

With Carbide you cannot set breakpoints while running the code as those won't get registered most of the time (bug). Before you start the session set all breakpoints you are interested in and then start the debugger.
    Some time I can debug only one file. (main.cpp) And in this one it's possible to set the breakpoint at runtime. But setting all my breakpoints before starting my debug session don't change anything.

Also make sure that you have your deployed binaries as debug!!! What did the pkg file put into the sis file? use dumpsis if uncertain.
    I'm sure about this.

If you have DLLs you work with you need to explicitly load them as explained in post before. There was some discussion about this buried in the forums, claim was that only the first loaded executable can be debugged. I say it is debug symbol loader failing to find dependencies.
    I only load my application

I personally don't import projects as Qt project but use the bld.inf for importing.. maybe that is what is different?
    I've try to create a project with the new qt projet wizard, then importing in in another workspace with the bld.inf, but It's all the same. Impossible to debug with this.

If all above fails try Qt Creator instead.
    QT creator with the default QT sdk + symbian SDK is ok. But I cannot debug neither if I set QT 4.6.3 sdk. (I need to use the 4.6.3 because I need native functions. I heard that with the 4.7 sdk native apis wasn't all included, for example I need to use the camera wrapper api, etc.. ) But I don't included the camerawrapper libs for thoses actual testes.

Regular Contributor

When you all say that you can debug main.cpp do you have any other cpp file in your project?
    If you make a project which has
    a.cpp
    b.cpp
    can you debug both of those files? if so, then that is how it is supposed to be as debug symbols and debug binaries are not delivered with Qt releases.

If not then as said before it is most likely source lookup failure.
    Try stepping into code that is e.g. in b.cpp. from which directory it tries to find the code?
    Does the lookup work if you move your code into Qt source tree? maybe that is one thing... i.e. can you debug Qt examples?

Does it make a difference if you compile from command line?

If you explicitly load your application from Debug Configurations - Executables (choose executables selected below) does it work then? note you have to wait for the symbols to be loaded can take several minutes.

Thats few options to try

Regular Contributor

Finaly I solved it by upgrading gcc 3.4.3 to 4.4.1 using this page "how to " http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...h_Symbian_SDKs Following the bug report mentionned in the post #14

So, for information I was only able to debug the first source file in the .mmp file.

Regular Contributor

Now I've some other problems with stl apis apprently. So it's not realy solved.

Now If I use some stl functions, the application can't be launched. ( for example if I integrate the JSON code found here http://cajun-jsonapi.sourceforge.net/ ) With openC/C++ it must works. I can compile/execute it on another sdk based on the 3.4.3. But it's not possbile with this one.

The error is something about some missing library...