Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unresolved breakpoints in UI classes

Hi all,

I am having trouble with on device debug with Qt and GCCE.
    The application runs fine on the phone but every breakpoint I put in any other file than main.cpp is "unresolved". I noticed in the Executables View that only this cpp and its symbols appear.
    When I compile for WINSCW, the Executables View shows all the cpp files in the project and all the breakpoints are resolved.

So 2 questions for you experts :
    Is there a relation between the unresolved breakpoints and the "missing" symbols ? (I guess so, but maybe you know better than I do)
    Is there something missing / broken in my on device debug configuration ? Or is there a workaround / a way to force the symbols for debugging ?

Regards,
    Jonathan

Re: Unresolved breakpoints in UI classes

I rearranged the files in the project, which had an impact on the .pro file, and then on the .mmp file. The order of the cpp files in the .mmp has slightly changed : main.cpp was the first file in the list and was the only one which symbols appeared in the Executables View ; now another file is first in the list and it's the only one to be shown in the Executables View...

I rearranged the project back the way it was and main.cpp went back to the Executables View.

So only the first source file listed in the mmp gets debug symbols ?
    Anyone has the same behavior using GCCE Phone Debug ?

Edit: at least one person has encountered the problem before (http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...d.php?t=114530) but I can't find a way to edit the mmp file, it is regenerated from the .pro file during compilation... Anyway to avoid that ?
    Last edited by jonathan.derrough; 2009-04-28 at 14:42.

I'm having almost the same problem with GCCE Phone Debug and Qt; the only difference is that even my main.cpp doesn't get breakpoints. WINSCW breakpoints work fine, but that's not sufficient because I need to use the acceleration sensor. Rearranging the files didn't appear to change anything. The GCCE Phone Debug build configuration is checked, just like it should be.

Have you found a solution yet?

Hi,

No solution yet, I had to work on something else for the past few weeks but I'll get back to it today and keep you posted.

Regards,
    Jonathan

Nokia Developer Moderator

Hi,
    "I can't find a way to edit the mmp file, it is regenerated from the .pro file during compilation... Anyway to avoid that ?"

In case really needed one trick is to set the mmp file as read only so qmake won't override it.

Cheers,
    Jack

I can confirm this.

Changing the order of the source files in the .pro file always end with debug symbols for only the first one of the source files! Very strange behavior.

Tried it with an up to date Carbide, qt-garden and SDK-5th / SDK-3rd_FP1-OpenC.

Are you all working with GCCE?
    Anybody can give us feedback on breakpoints & on-device debugging using RVCT (the proprietary ARM compiler used with the ARMV5 configuration)?

Working with GCCE...

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by jonathan.derrough View Post
    Are you all working with GCCE?
    Anybody can give us feedback on breakpoints & on-device debugging using RVCT (the proprietary ARM compiler used with the ARMV5 configuration)?
    Software breakpoints and symbol loading works with RVCT/TRK.

I can confirm that breakpoints in Qt 4.5.2 projects work fine with the supported build of RVCT 2.2.

I can confirm the problem with Carbide 2.02 (and qt-tower). I hope that this problem will be fixed soon since it debugging without breakpoints is very cumbersome. Should I report this somewhere?

Hi,
    what ever is not in http://labs.trolltech.com/page/QtforS60KnownIssues is worth reporting.

Like said in the download pages

We have set up a special mailinglist for feedback on the S60 port. The address of the mailinglist is:

qts60-feedback@trolltech.com
    please join if you want to provide technical feedback, bug reports, suggestions or comments. In order to join the mailing list send a mail to:

qts60-feedback-request@trolltech.com
    with the subject set to: subscribe. In order to leave the list send a mail with the subject set to: unsubscribe. This will be an open list so make sure not to share sensitive information. The list is read by all the developers working on the port so this is the most direct route to share your feedback with us. Make sure you check out the FAQ and the Known issues before reporting.

Cheers,
    Jack

BTW big thanks for reporting and verifying these issues, it helps others a lot!

Cheers,
    Jack

Super Contributor

A defect has been raised on the Symbian Foundation website: http://developer.symbian.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=328

However we've not been able to reproduce this internally. It would help if anyone who can reproduce this can record it on the defect, along with pertinent information:
    1. OS version (Vista, XP)
    2. SDK Version
    3. Perl version
    4. Qt version
    5. Java versions
    Basically, check everything here: http://developer.symbian.org/wiki/in...p_correctly%3F

Also helpful to know if you can debug Symbian C++ applications or Open C/C++ applications, or if this is just Qt applications being affected (just create a wizard project and attempt to debug)

Hi Hamish,
    nice to see you're back

Feel free to contact your old friends in Forum Nokia if you need more help on this one.

Cheers,
    Jack