Discussion Board

Is Audio / video streaming supported in Widget

Hi,

I am newbee to widgets and wanted to check out if audio / video streaming is possible through widgets like watching videos from Youtube through widgets?

if its possible is there any sample code for it?

Thanks in advance.

Smile Re: Is Audio / video streaming supported in Widget

Yes, it's possible. But now I don't have the example for you :P. I have sure, that it's possible.

When I do it, I will show you as soon as possible.

Re: Is Audio / video streaming supported in Widget

Hi, Thanks for the reply. Regarding the sample code,if you could let me know the API calls / info that will be helpful. I will try to complete the widget and post the sample code here

Regular Contributor

First you may need to clarify your goal.

Do you need download, progressive download or true streaming?
    What formats do you need to support?
    Do you need to embed the video or sound directly in the web page or is it ok to load the sound or video into the external sound/video player?

Hi HP3,

I am also looking for such widget which will display videos in widgets.
    What kind of streaming is possible? considering the device capabilities, network speed is true streaming possible?
    Can we embed the video in webpage or we have to invoke external application for media display?

can we use flash lite for streaming use that application in widgets?

I know i am asking lot of questions but streaming seems to be interesting topic and nothing so far is found on net or on this forum..

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by hp3 View Post
    First you may need to clarify your goal.

Do you need download, progressive download or true streaming?

==> True streaming would be ideal
    What formats do you need to support?
    ==> MPEG-4, the same format in which devices will record the videos.
    Not looking for any customized format for which i might need to write decoder!

Do you need to embed the video or sound directly in the web page or is it ok to load the sound or video into the external sound/video player?
    ==> embedding would be gr8,but if widgets does not support that then external player is ok.
    I will be having a media server streaming files and through a widget i want to browse and see those files on my phone.

Please let me know. Thanks in advance

Regular Contributor

Unfortunately, Nokia has not provided any information in this area. Not sure why there is such a big hole in the documentation!

There seem to be 3 options, but I have not exhaustively tested all 3.

1) launch the external player
    This works well for sound. I have not tried it for video. I just used window.location.href = "urlto.mp3". I have not tried any streaming protocols with this approach. This approach also allows for lare file downloads. I have tested downloading sounds of up to 25mb with no problem.

2) embed sound in web page with object tag
    This shows an embedded control for the player but I dont think this is as "usable" compared to the external player. I have not tested streaming protocols with embedding sound. I have not tested large file sizes.

3) embed flash
    Flash Lite can stream from Flash media server or a supporting server like Red5. These servers should support streaming of mp3 or FLV video to Flash Lite 3. I do not think that Flash Lite 3 can support mpeg 4 video streams from media server. I do not think that media server can stream 3gp video or AAC audio.

Flash Lite can also download and play native sound and audio formats. No progressive loading, only full download. Flash Lite will have memory limitations on the size of native sound and video formats that it can play. I doubt you can play a 25mb sound file in an embedded Flash Lite player. I have not tested file size limits for Flash within WRT.

Users will need to select the embedded flash lite player to give it focus then interact with the player interface.

Also, some of the s60 3rd edition fp1 devices support WRT with a firmware update. It would be important to verify that these upgraded devices support Flash Lite 3, not Flash Lite 2 to avoid compatibility issues. I am not sure if all of the firmware updates to Flash Lite 3 or if some firmwares updated WRT only and kept Flash Lite at 2.0.

4) there may be an option to embed real media player which should support streaming of other video formats. Embedding video in the web page may actually invoke the real media player. I have not tested embedding video at all.

Regular Contributor

Hi

HTML Code:
    1) launch the external player
    This works well for sound. I have not tried it for video. I just used window.location.href = "urlto.mp3". I have not tried any streaming protocols with this approach. This approach also allows for lare file downloads. I have tested downloading sounds of up to 25mb with no problem.
    Please tell me how to do this? i tried window.location.href = "urlto.mp3" this way but do not play this also.

SymbianTH

Regular Contributor

This only works on an actual device. The emulator does not have a way to play sound from WRT.

What device are you testing on?

I have successfully tested this WRT code approach to download sound on N95 8gb and N96. The WRT environment launches the phone sound player to play sound. You can easily return to the WRT application from the right softkey labeled "back".

Regular Contributor

hi...

In WRT widget, I want to stream mp3 audio from url (http://myserver.com/media/sing.mp3). I tried to use object tag. but, it plays after finishing download.
    please help me how can i stream audio mp3 from WRT widget.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kuddy_abc View Post
    hi...

In WRT widget, I want to stream mp3 audio from url (http://myserver.com/media/sing.mp3). I tried to use object tag. but, it plays after finishing download.
    please help me how can i stream audio mp3 from WRT widget.

thanks
    I too suffers from the problem.
    Could any one help me please!

Nokia Developer Champion

Hi jameskittu,

have you tried by using a media file throught the RTSP protocol, instead of HTTP?

Pit

Nokia Developer Expert

Yep, Basically, if you embed the real-player, it will only accept RTSP streams, anyway, Realplayer if you launch it as standalone applciation, and give the url as command line argument, should be able to play lot more types of streams.