Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Question application restart when phone is rebooted.........

To get symbian express-signed for an application, we need to test app. against the basic test criteria.
    Document "AGuideToSymbianSigned_Ed3_hires.pdf" from symbiansigned.com describes in topic: "Symbian Signed Test Criteria"
    subTopic: Understand the Test Cases
    point: 8). Test autostart behavior; applications should not automatically restart by default when phone is rebooted, and autostart settings must be fully under the user’s control.

1) Do i really need to give option/setting in my ForeGroundApp for user to handle BackGroudApp to "autostart on reboot."

2) What are the appropriate location to create database/fileSystem on Device & Memory card to pass symbian signed.

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: application restart when phone is rebooted.........

1 ) Yes, you need to give such on/off setting in your application so that end-user will have better control on what should be autostarted and what not. See this Wiki article to achieve the same: http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...oot_dynamic%3F

2) The recommended and beneficial path would be private path of your application. !\private\<SID>
    Nokia Developer Wiki Moderation team

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by chandra1234 View Post
    1) Do i really need to give option/setting in my ForeGroundApp for user to handle BackGroudApp to "autostart on reboot."
    thanks for reply..

Link doesn't have any information about "background" exe.

i am not convinced, do user need to worry about which "background exe" should autostart or not on device reboot.

in my case "background exe" doesn't launch UI app. What i've done my "background exe" will always run in background. From UI app user can decide wether "background exe" should perform the application intended task or not. Does it pass the symbian-test criteria or not?

Nokia Developer Champion

See, ideally one should autostart "background exe", not a GUI application. Background exe does core processing, termed as engine; whereas GUI application deals with user interface to be helpful to background exe. So you have the same pattern that you are autostarting "background exe", hence, you need to be concerned about giving the control to the end-use whether to allow that "background exe" be autostarted or not(You can paraphrase it in On/Off menu so that end-user will understand what does that background do). This should be the main idea behind providing such on/off feature in your application. It doesn't matter whether you are convinced or not but that is the truth.
    Nokia Developer Wiki Moderation team