Discussion Board

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Java Verified Experiences

by the way you might want to try that before you fork out any more money on more java varified tests

Regular Contributor

I'm only using MIDP 2.0 and CLDC 1.0 APIs. I suspect that the N78 device group will also accept N95 group content, but maybe not the other way around.

I just tried on a 5610 (from the 6500 Slide group) and here the N95 signed app. also installs without cert errors and shows up with trusted 3rd party permissions.

It sure would be nice with some official information about this.

The more I think about it the more I think it would be ok. If the device accepts the certificate then I can’t see Nokia having a problem with it, especially in light of Nokia recent decision to drop JV as a requirement and their willingness to accept verisigned apps.

It cant do you any harm to try, at most all they would do is reject it, I would wait however until the N95 submission is accepted, so you can try it on a clean slate.

Super Contributor

Passed? Excellent!!!!

Since being JV certified is not a requirement for Ovi, and you application obviously conforms to those standards (even if not formally certified on other devices), I'd agree with 21n9 and suggest you submit for anything it might work on.

I wasn't aware that there was actually any difference between signatures for different devices. Even though the certification is device-group specific, I thought the signature was not. So, I am also a little confused about what you see.

The big publishers (or the ones who are not so big they can avoid JV!) generally rip out the signatures anyway, as they are known to cause device problems (this device or that device doesn't contain the root). Hence, while I have a lot of experience working to JV and working with JV test houses, I've never actually dealt with signed build...

The 320x240 / 240x320 issue shouldn't matter. The N95 works both ways, and JV requires that an app work correctly in both orientations on devices that support orientation switching. (Though, plenty of games that should be JV'd don't appear to meet this requirement...)

Yes, in many cases, an extra device group is simply because there are extra APIs. So, the N96 has to be separate from the N95, because it has some extra API, even though they are highly compatible (at least in the N95 -> N96 direction). Unfortunately, JV doesn't really have the concept of group-compatibility (that would allow an N95 build to be certified automatically on the N96 (or N78, or whatever its lead device is), but obviously not the other way around. The new description of reduced testing for similar groups in UTC-3 does suggest they are struggling towards this kind of idea.

A reduced cost per test (to, say, $50), along with more compatibility information from the manufacturers (and so, fewer tests) would certainly make JV attractive to a lot more people.

Looking forward to seeing how you get on with your Ovi submission!!

Graham.

Regular Contributor

Certificate confusion solved

I did some more tests, installing the signed app. When using memory card instead of bluetooth or cable, it installs just fine as a trusted 3rd party apps on the phones that previously failed. So now I have it installing and working on:

Nokia N85
    Nokia N82
    Nokia 5610
    Nokia E71 (some problems due to the 320x240 screen, the app thinks it's rotated so puts the softkeys to the right instead of at the bottom)

SonyEricsson W715
    SonyEricsson K800

So I believe there actually is only one certificate for JV, and a JV signed app. will install without warnings on all devices (though that is no guarantee it will work flawlessly).

Regular Contributor

Unhappy Chinese test FAILED

We got the test results for the Chinese build on N95 and it failed

At start-up the game is showing a splash screen with a loading progress bar and the text 'loading'. As this is shown while the localized texts are being loaded it cannot use our l10n system to show the translated text. However this violates the L01 and L02 of the UTC, which states that all texts must be translated.

I'll have to come up with some workaround for this, maybe using a JAD property or something.

Regular Contributor

Smile 6500S, N78 English PASSED

More results coming back, the game passed on 6500S and N78.

The N95 build was submitted to Ovi 6 days ago, but is still pending QA.

I submitted the newly passed build with a wider distribution of devices, we'll see how long it then takes to go through Ovi QA.

Regular Contributor

Angry Java Verified site updated

Apparently the JavaVerified site has now been updated to the new system, requiring the TC TrustCenter publisher ID.

However for my case this happened when I had submitted an updated Chinese build for re-test. The result being that the test house now cannot access the build

I find it very odd that there was no communication from Java Verified to me or the test house about this change and the consequences for builds 'in-process'

Regular Contributor

Smile Chinese test PASSED

We got things sorted out with the test house and the updated JV site, and now got the test result for the updated N95 Chinese build which passed

The English N95 version is still sitting in 'Pending QA', now on 8 days.

Super Contributor

Re: Chinese test PASSED

Quote Originally Posted by pjohnsen View Post
    The English N95 version is still sitting in 'Pending QA', now on 8 days.
    Hmmm... so much for Nokia's QA Manager's assertion that JV'd builds move through Ovi QA faster. Unless the norm is 16 days?

(Retired) Nokia Developer Admin.

Re: Chinese test PASSED

Quote Originally Posted by grahamhughes View Post
    Hmmm... so much for Nokia's QA Manager's assertion that JV'd builds move through Ovi QA faster. Unless the norm is 16 days?

I think it is a little longer than that. there is a lot to pass in Ovi QA

Sorry for the delay reponse I've been traveling.

Ron

Regular Contributor

Smile Last builds PASSED

The 2 remaining Chinese builds (N78, 6500S) has now passed Java Verified

I'll be submitting the Chinese version to Ovi shortly, though I'm still a bit unclear on the billing situation in China (http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...d.php?t=164601)

The N95 English build is still 'Pending QA' now on 18 days.

Regular Contributor

Angry QA installation failed ???

I have now been waiting 21 days for the first build (N95 English) to go through QA, only to find this failure notice:

"Failed case: NEC 1.2 Download, install, and run the content. Summary: After downloading the application, there is an error message and the content is not installing. Requirement: The content is installed and launched properly. The user was able to run the content without any errors. Steps to conduct the test: 1. Download and install the content using appropriate methods depending on content type via OTA, Cable install etc. 2. Select the downloaded content and launch the content. 3. Run through the content to ensure that it runs without any errors. Error message displayed on the device: “Invalid jar file” List of Ovi Store supported devices can be found from https://publish.ovi.com/help/content_providers"

WTF? This is a JavaVerified app. certified by a test-house on N95 device group. And the failure notice doesn't even say which device it was tested on.

I re-tested it on N82, N85, 5610 using both cable and OTA install ... all worked flawlessly.

I initially set the distribution to 'fully tested' on S60 3rd FP1 (240x320) which should match the JV device group, but can see it has been modified to also include 'not known' for 2730, 3710, 7020 and RM-540.

I happen to know the app. also works on S60 3rd FP2, S40 3rd, S40 5th, but not on S60 5th.

WHAT IS GOING ON ????

If anyone from Nokia is reading this, can you please look into this?

Very frustrated

Regular Contributor

Angry QA failure

I can see my other content file also has had the same extra devices set to 'not known'. What is going on????

I don't dare trying to change the distribution as this would probably send the file back at the end of the QA queue.

The 2nd file has been waiting 16 days for QA now .. guess I'll have to wait another 5 days to see what happens with this one.

If it fails in the same way I think I'm gonna go crazy

(Retired) Nokia Developer Admin.

Re: QA failure

Hi

Contact me on this and I'll see if we can get some better answers. I have one issue with the error messages.

Ron