Discussion Board

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Regular Contributor

Re: Java Verified Experiences

Hi Ron,

I have sent you an email with the details, any help would be greatly appreciated

I'm sorry if I was in a bad mood earlier, but having spent all that time and money to get the app through JavaVerified and then waiting 21 days on QA only to get that sort of failure message, kind of ticked me off.

Regular Contributor

I decided to unlock the file and try and change the distribution.

This time I set it specifically to 'Fully tested' on N82, N95 and N95 8G. Hope I won't have to wait another month for QA this time.

Regular Contributor

More info from QA

I got a new message from QA saying again that they get 'invalid jar' error. This time they stated the device used as N95.

I again re-re-checked the files by downloading from the publish to OVI tool and installing on N82 and N85 which works flawlessly.

I really can't understand how they can get this kind of error. N95 is the device the test-house used for certifying the app. So I don't really think it can be a device specific issue. It must be something related to the way it is downloaded from the system. The error seems to indicate that the JAD file is loaded correctly but that there is some problem loading the JAR file. It doesn't sound like a problem with the certificate as this should cause a different error message.

I am a bit at a loss here as how to try and fix this. The JAD/JAR files are the ones signed by JavaVerified, so there is not really much I can do to them

It now looks like they are going to do QA on N82 and N95 8G too, guess I'll have to wait and see how this turns out.

I have a former customer with a N95 8G, I might try and get her to test it too.

I must admit the time it takes to get a game like this certified and published are beginning to look pretty abysmal

Dear pjohnsen,

I am looking into the details of the failed response from QA. I'll update you through this thread as soon as possible. If there are any other questions or concerns, please let me know

Thank you,

Sherwin

Ovi Store Publisher Support
    http://publish.ovi.com/

Regular Contributor

Comment from QA

I got this cryptic message from QA:

"need to to update .jar in NDS"

Anyone know what NDS is? I suppose they want me to update the JAR file .. but as this is signed by JavaVerified there isn't really anything I can do I'll try and re-upload the same file and see if that does anything.

Dear pjohnsen,

We are narrowing down the issue with your content item. It seems that QA is unable to download the jar file and can only see the jad file. I'll keep you posted as more information arrives.

Thank you,

Sherwin

Dear pjohnsen,

Could you please try re-uploading your jar file using only 1 "-" symbol? This probably isn't an issue but we'd like to eliminate any possibilities. Once that is done, please let me know and I'll get QA to review asap.

Thank you,

Sherwin

Regular Contributor

Hi Sherwin,

There only was one '-' in the filename: wyrmgard-en.jar, but I have now tried to change it to an underscore instead: wyrmgard_en.jar.

I have another content file with 2 dashes (wyrmgard-en-6500s.jar), but that one is still pending QA.

Hope this will help.

Regular Contributor

As suggested by Sherwin I have now created a new content item. This time I've named the file wyrmgardEn.jar.

I hope I don't have to wait another month for the result of this.

Regular Contributor

Angry Another QA Failure

This is what I got this time (for N95 8G):

'FAILED- Reason for Failure:Your submitted application failed due to the graphical clarity and legibility issue.Summary: If the user starts the application, then the user notices that application does not scale completely to the device screen instead it occupies only 1/4th part of the device screen.'

This doesn't make sense, the game is JavaVerified and has thus passed UTC UI1: Graphic Clarity!

It would be nice to at least be told where in the app. they are seeing this behavior.

I kind of suspect this is a misinterpretation of the first level which is a small indoor level and as such the map doesn't cover the whole screen, but there is a health meter at the top right corner and menu key at the bottom left, so it should be clear this is not a matter of not scaling properly. If QA spend 2 minutes playing the game they would see the next level, which should make this very clear. Is it to much to ask of them? - after all we have spend man years creating this game.

Here are screenshots of the first level, the second level and the main menu:

I must admit that if this is the case for this QA failure, I feel it is bordering to insulting to treat developers this way. Other posts have rightfully asked Nokia to at least show some decent amount of respect to the developers - after all we are the ones providing the content for the store.

For me the Quality of QA (hehe) has so far been very disappointing

I am now getting VERY close to giving up on OVI - with the amount of time and money spent, I could almost have bought a Mac and ported the game to iPhone.

EDIT: Hmmm my [img] tags only seems to show up as links, isn't it supposed to actually embed the images in the post?

Exclamation Re: Another QA Failure

Quote Originally Posted by pjohnsen View Post
    This is what I got this time (for N95 8G):

'FAILED- Reason for Failure:Your submitted application failed due to the graphical clarity and legibility issue.Summary: If the user starts the application, then the user notices that application does not scale completely to the device screen instead it occupies only 1/4th part of the device screen.'

This doesn't make sense, the game is JavaVerified and has thus passed UTC UI1: Graphic Clarity!

It would be nice to at least be told where in the app. they are seeing this behavior.

I kind of suspect this is a misinterpretation of the first level which is a small indoor level and as such the map doesn't cover the whole screen, but there is a health meter at the top right corner and menu key at the bottom left, so it should be clear this is not a matter of not scaling properly. If QA spend 2 minutes playing the game they would see the next level, which should make this very clear. Is it to much to ask of them? - after all we have spend man years creating this game.

Here are screenshots of the first level, the second level and the main menu:

I must admit that if this is the case for this QA failure, I feel it is bordering to insulting to treat developers this way. Other posts have rightfully asked Nokia to at least show some decent amount of respect to the developers - after all we are the ones providing the content for the store.

For me the Quality of QA (hehe) has so far been very disappointing

I am now getting VERY close to giving up on OVI - with the amount of time and money spent, I could almost have bought a Mac and ported the game to iPhone.

EDIT: Hmmm my [img] tags only seems to show up as links, isn't it supposed to actually embed the images in the post?
    pjohnsen, I´he been looking into this thread since your first post. I was very excited about Ovi Store (we are a small developers company with 5 games so far) but then I saw all of bureaucracy that Nokia stipulated. And now, I see that after doing exactly everything they told you to do it, you still unable to publish your game. I´m thinking they decided to go the same way as Qualcomm did with Brew, and lets face it, Brew is almost dead. So I really don not understand the point of doing everything so tight that take to long, its to expensive and its almost impossible to do it. Also, there are not a lot of games at Ovi Store.... I wonder why...

Regular Contributor

@rafreire: Thanks for the supporting words

The sad thing for me is that Ovi has such I huge potential if executed properly.

I can only speculate what is going on currently, but one could guess that QA is under extreme time pressure and as such haven't got the time to do their job properly. Unfortunately this hurts everyone involved and just creates even more QA work as content is continuously resubmitted.

I'm currently blocked by the latest cryptic QA failure, and don't really have any way forward

My only hope is that somebody from Nokia will see this and find a solution.

For a comparison here is an example of the feedback I got from the test house when my first submission to JavaVerified failed:

Test condition #1: UI2
    Two different actions, anywhere in the tested areas, must not be named with a same title (this applies even if the actions
    are not on the same screen).
    FAIL
    Reproduction: 5/5
    Description:
    When the user selects ‘Quit’ from the main menu (Wyrmgard), the application exits. However, there’s a soft key also
    labeled ‘Quit’ in the in game pause menu (Menu) which takes the user back to the main menu (Wyrmgard). Two different
    actions are then performed when selecting the ‘Quit’ options, although the option for these actions is named the same
    (Quit).
    Please change the left soft key (labeled ‘Quit’ in the ‘Wyrmgard’ menu) to ‘Exit’. This will correctly exit the application,
    whereas the option ‘Quit’ from the in game pause menu (Menu) will correctly quit the current game and therefore no further
    actions is needed in this menu.
    Steps to Reproduce:
    1. Launch the application
    2. From the main menu (Wyrmgard) select ‘Quit’ and notice how this exits the application
    3. Relaunch the application
    4. Select ‘New game’
    5. Choose any of the available options (Warrior/Rogue/Mage)
    6. Once in game, select the left soft key to go to the in game pause menu
    7. Select ‘Quit’ from the in game pause menu (Menu) and notice how this exits the current game and takes the user back
    to the main menu (Wyrmgard)
    Clear and precise description of the problem, detailed description of how to reproduce it and even a suggestion for a solution.

Hello Pelle,

I've re-escalated the issue to QA and will have them look at it again. I'll update you as soon as info is available.

Thank you,

Sherwin

Regular Contributor

Hi again Sherwin,

Thanks for your effort, I sure hope it will be possible to find a solution for this.

Regular Contributor

Another QA Failure

This time a new one:

Failed, none of the devices have "FULLY TESTED" as proposed compatibility. Each platform should have at least one device as “FULLY TESTED”. Please refer to “Technical & Quality Requirements” document found from https://publish.ovi.com/help/content_providers
    It sure would be nice to let me know which platform it is referring to. I had set the distribution for certain devices where I know the game runs but that has not been JavaVerified or 100% tested by us to Briefly Tested. I didn't realize the game could fail QA on these grounds

I have now set all those devices to FULLY TESTED and relocked the file.