Discussion Board

Question PosServer User 11 panic when obtaining coordinates via network-based locationing

Hi,

I noticed that there has been something wrong lately with network-based locationing on my N95 8GB; to be more precise, the application I'm currently working on crashes at the line

iPositioner.SetRequestor(CRequestor::ERequestorService, Requestor::EFormatApplication, KAppTxt);

but the reason for the crash is actually (according to Y-Tasks' Crash Monitor) "PosServer User 11" which means that a descriptor has exceeded its length. However, as the error message shows, the panic actually occurs within the PosServer functionality. What could possibly be the reason for this?

What I'm doing when the crash occurs is trying to switch to network-based locationing if GPS chip coordinate acquiring hasn't been successful. I'm using the my operator's normal internet AP with a flat data rate and trying to connect to supl.nokia.com (these are set in the positioning settings).

The locationing code has been in place in the app like that for almost a year now, and I've never seen such behaviour before - the first time I started to notice this was last week's Wednesday, I think.

Any pointers to why this is occurring or what could be done about it are very appreciated, since the locationing stuff is very important to the application I'm working on.

Thanks a bunch!

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: PosServer User 11 panic when obtaining coordinates via network-based locationing

Given the panic and the line of code where it shows the obvious question would be: what is KAppTxt's length?
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Re: PosServer User 11 panic when obtaining coordinates via network-based locationing

Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta View Post
    Given the panic and the line of code where it shows the obvious question would be: what is KAppTxt's length?
    Hi, it's 5 characters long (like it actually has always been). Is there a limit to this parameter's length that I should be aware of?

Nokia Developer Moderator

No, there is no known limitation. The only similar error report I could find was fixed long time ago and was not related to SetRequestor but to the network based positioning PSY itself. Do make sure to have the latest firmware on your phone and if your problem persists open a bug report.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Hi teemuk,

I am also facing the same problem with Nokia N95-8Gb. But it panics while opening the subsession (RPositioner) with network module.

Did you find any solution to that problem?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jeetu_basai View Post
    Did you find any solution to that problem?
    Nope, not yet. I've tried to reinstall the latest firmware to my phone, deleting all the access points and reinstall them (asked from my operator), still panics with the same error code with both cases. It is quite weird, though, that the same piece of software seemed to work OK at least in one other N95 8GB and the problems showed up only two weeks ago.

Please let me know if you find a solution to your problem, too.. Thanks!

Hi teemuk,

Today I have updated N-95 8 GB with latest firmware V 31.0.015 and started the application, but apprx after 90 minute usage, I got the same panic (PosServer USER:11) while using Network based positioning. In our application I am switching between Integrated GPS, Assisted GPS and Network Based positioning.

If you come across any update on the issue, please do inform me.

Thanks.

Today I noticed that when "Using GPS" is on in Google Maps (installed the latest version of it), the same PosServer User 11 panic occurs in the background. It doesn't actually crash Google Maps, it's just that I get the exact same error message (with Crash Monitor on). Today I also tried to use a different operator's SIM card, still the same thing.

So nothing that solves the problem, but some insights anyway. I cannot just figure out why only the network-based locationing goes awry, looks like the internal GPS chip works just fine.

Hi teemuk,

It'true. Our application will not crash, only posserver panicked and if crash monitor is on, then there will be a notification to the user. After that there is always failure while opening RPositioner session for network based, but Integrated and Assisted GPS both seems to work fine.

With nokia maps application also, there is same panic while starting the application.

Did you find any email, where we can send the issue to Nokia/Symbian?

Hi, Itomuta posted a link in this thread where a bug report can be filed (bottom of the page): http://www.forum.nokia.com/I_Want_To...nical_Support/

I figured I'd try some different things and try to achieve a workaround for this, but seems that this is goes deeper than I expected, so it's out of programmers' hands to solve it, I guess.

Nokia Developer Expert

Quote Originally Posted by teemuk View Post
    I figured I'd try some different things and try to achieve a workaround for this, but seems that this is goes deeper than I expected, so it's out of programmers' hands to solve it, I guess.
    Does anyone know a workaround for this? The only 'cure' I have found is doing the 'normal reset' on the phone. After that it works at least for a while ... I am using E71.
    http://www.newlc.com/en/How-to-reset...t-a-phone.html