Discussion Board

N85 VoIP problem

Hi

I have an N85 with the latest software installed.
    I have successfully configured SIP settings to register my phone with our company PABX over a WLan connection.
    I then downloaded and installed SIP_VoIP_3_0_Settings_v1_01_en.sis and activated the Internet profile.

I can successfully make calls out to the PABX and beyond but i cannot receive any calls from the PABX via SIP.
    There are no SIP errors shown at all after failed attempts.

Two of my collegues have Nokia phones (N90 and N82) that are both setup to our PABX the same way and work fine, incoming and outgoing.

Does anyone have any suggestions to fix this?

thegent, my ‘it works here’ does not help very much, I think. Therefore, I recommend to continue in Nokia’s end-user support channels with this question as here we are in developer centric discussion boards. Have a look at your codec list (empty?) and make sure you configured the NAT settings » domain parameters in your Nokia. Otherwise ask your SIP provider to add the correct DNS-SRV records or change the configuration of your local NAT. Actually you should not open a new thread for every issue …

I recommend to go your PABX administrator and debug the network traffic. From distance it is extremely hard to tell, why just your Nokia N85 is not ‘called’.

Re: N85 VoIP problem

Thanks for the reply but i have tried the end user forums and no-one seems to know anything about VoIP and can't help.
    Codecs are correct because i can make a succesful outgoing call.
    NAT appeared to set itself up from the original SIP settings before i installed the extra app.

As for the multiple posts, i am very frustrated at not being able to get any meaningful support from Nokia themselves. The local south african support is as much use as a plastic spanner and there appears to no other portal at all to get support from Nokia. Local support don't know the N85 at all.

I think that Nokia support leaves an awful lot to be desired.

I understand your frustration, however, these technologies are complicated (so far). Nobody can help you from distance except guessing. Here, we are developers (fewer than end-users) and might not want to help. You try to combine ones product (PABX) with another one (SIP client) via a WLAN network (again a product of someone). Actually, this VoIP settings tool means there is no end-user support by Nokia except for developers. In this case developers are providers of VoIP servers. With this tool they can test their implementation and change parameters on the fly. Normally, your VoIP provider should send an SMS with that configuration to you. If we bother end-user phone support too much, that tool might disappear one day and then you have to create this SMS yourself.

Menu » System » Settings » Phone » Call barring » Internet call barring » Anonymous call baring » Off
    is my last idea. What about your PABX administrator? He does not like to support you either, does he? Just because it works with two other phones does not mean it is the fault of the Nokia N85 implementation. It could be a setting or a problem on your server, your WLAN or your callee.
    Last edited by traud; 2009-05-07 at 14:57.

Super Contributor

Re: N85 VoIP problem

Quote Originally Posted by traud View Post
    What about your PABX administrator? He does not like to support you either, does he? Just because it works with two other phones does not mean it is the fault of the Nokia N85 implementation. It could be a setting or a problem on your server, your WLAN or your callee.
    I have to agree with traud here, it has to be an issue on the server side, make sure your IP address/SIP login details have not been duplicated on the server, also a good thing to check would be to ensure that you havent set bar incoming calls or anything on the device. Since outgoing calls work fine, the server knows you, but it doesnt recognize you as an individual entity, hope that makes sense.

Cheers,
    Mayank

thegent, do not get us wrong – there could be a bug in the Nokia implementation. However, to confirm that, one way is to look at the raw protocol flow and identify problems. Therefore, Nokia has even guidelines for this. More about SIP and VoIP/SIP or Nokia’s framework in general.

So take a coffee break with your admin and go through chapter 2.5 of this document. Your device has release 3.0. The call flow might help to understand what is wrong.