Discussion Board

Two same desktop icons

Hello,

my application contains an embedded SIS file.
    It is a simple EXE without any resources used.

When both main & embedded SISes are signed with the developer certificate, all is good.

Then I do:
    - uninstall the application signed with developer certificate;
    - change UIDs (0xE... -> 0x2...),
    - sign embedded SIS (Express Signed);
    - sign main SIS (Express Signed);
    - install the Express Signed application.

I got two same desktop icons.
    Selection of each launches the application normally.

Why do I get two icons in the applications list ?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by adenisov; 2009-05-05 at 14:58.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Two same desktop icons

Can it happen that you have mistakenly embedded the old application? If you have changed the UID, and you are following the convention about including the UID into filenames as well, it is possible to have your xy_0xE...exe and xy_0x2...exe (and related files) on the device at the same time.
    Check the contents of the .sisx file.

wizard_hu_, thank you for your answer.

I have extracted both dev-cert signed and symbian-signed SISX files using dumpsis utility.
    Content is the same, only UIDs are different (and correct) inside extracted PKGs and EXEs.
    One icon file per package, "sis0" directory with embedded EXE with corrent UID3 (3rd integer).
    All is the same, but single icon for dev-cert signed version is shown, and two icons for symbian-signed version.

I am being crazy, please help ...
    Last edited by adenisov; 2009-05-06 at 09:12.

You should check those files somehow.
    If it is possible to install your application to the memory card, do that and check what happens in the \private\10003a3f\import\apps folder
    If it is not possible, check the files listed by dumpsis (especially the ones which are around 100 bytes long).

thank you, wizard_hu_

I have compared the unpacked SIS content.
    It is equal expect for different UID3 inside the files and check sums in EXE headers.

My application is able to be installed on memory card.
    But when it installed on memory card, only ONE icon is shown.
    So I can not compare the content of MMC with "bad" (symbian-signed) and "good" (dev-cert-signed) installations.

I have four OS9 phones around (N5800, N80, N79, E60-1), and problem is the same in all phones.

I can send the symbian-signed SIS if required.

Please help, and thanks in advance.

A thing you can still check is installing the file to the internal drive, and checking if a registration resource happens to appear on drive e:
    Unfortunately I do not have AllFiles capability here and now, so sending the .sisx to me would not help. If you happen to have it for any reason, you should check c:\private\10003a3f\import\apps

Different thing, though it will not help on your previous Express Signing: using a DevCert you can sign anything, so you can try:
    1 - keeping the express signed internal .sisx, but re-packing and devcert-signing the outer one

2 - installing the express signed internal .sisx separately (checking if any icon appears - since it should not as I understand)
    + re-packing and devcert-signing the outer package, temporarily commenting the containment of the internal one
    + if it still produces the problem, re-packing and devcert-signing the internal .sisx, removing the express-signed one, and deploying the devcert-signed one
    + in the step when you do not have the internal package installed at all, your application obviously will not work, but you can still check the number of icons

So using a developer certificate you can install release code (including their protected UID) actually.

wizard_hu_, thank you very much!

Problem solved. You are right, in PKG file I have the list of resource files private\10003a3f\import\apps\*.r?? mismatched with supported languages list in MMP. It is why I got two icons when UID3 is in 0x2 range, and single icon in 0xE range.

Thank you again!